CHAPTER X

"Is he at the clinic?"

"Yes...hic.....everyone else is also there....."

Eros was sniffing and crying and answered in between his sobs. Witnessing this sight, I hug and caress his hair to soothe him.

"Let's go."

I looked at Argus to say goodbye to him, but he added,

"Wait, I am coming with you."

"It's fine. You already consumed so much time here. Being a duke, you must have other things to attend to."

"I don't and want to come with you. And we can take our carriage. It'll be considerably faster."

I decided that we were wasting time hence I went with what he stated and nodded,

"Okay, sorry for troubling you."

When we reached the clinic, everyone else was here. Mama and Lark were crying while Thalia looked confused to what was going on. She kept looking right and left and then ran straight into my arms when she sights me enter. I stroke her head to assure her that everything was going to be alright. My eyes greeted the doctors', and he nodded to speak to me separately since the rest of my family was too emotional right now to listen to things properly. We were outside the room, and Argus was right beside me as the doctor comes to brief us that he died because of heart failure. I was still thinking about how this could be when Argus spoke up,

"Were there any signs of this happening?"

"No. Not at all. This case is not frequent. He was healthy and stabilised, and we were hoping to discharge him after two days."

"Then how?"

I blurted but was met with gazes that did not know the answer themselves. The doctor then takes his leave and tells me to later on come and finish up the rest of the paperwork so I can then take my father to bury him.

"Rhea."

I turn to look at Argus when calls out my name in a sombre tone. His mind seems to be in deep-thinking.

"It's most likely your father was murdered."

"How? Who? It didn't happen....in the book."

I stated the end words in a low voice that were meant nothing but for him to hear. After which he nods and adds,

"I know. However, this is only a hunch for now, but I am not completely certain whether I am right or not."

"Is the murderer the same person as I am thinking about right now?"

Argus bents a bit closer to my ear to whisper,

"He must have found out that someone is investigating and tracking him and this may be his way of retaliating and warning."

"That damn.....piece of shit........"

I curse under my breath.

"I need to go and do something right now. There must be a person in between who works for him and notified him about this therefore, I am going to investigate that. It will be better for you and your family to stay in a place with a lot of people or somewhere with guards and protection. If you want, I can take all you back to my house."

"Thank you, but you have already done so much. My friend's father is a Marquis. We can go to stay with her."

"Very well, that would be good. Please stay safe. If you require help, come to me."

Saying that he takes his leave. While I go to finish signing up the papers.

That afternoon we conduct a small private funeral and after the burial, we didn't go back home since I informed my family that father might have been murdered and the guy must now be after us hence we need to stay safe. They were still shocked with father's death. As was I but since I didn't associate with him that much, I barely cried. Mama thought I was in denial, so she kept giving comfort and support to me even though she herself was barely keeping herself steady.