Chapter 5 ~ First Date

At last it's 7:30. I tucked in Kyle and Kayleigh, then told them that Ella would read them a story before they went to sleep.
Heading back down stairs I could see Connor giving Michael a talking to since the stairs lead straight into the living room. I waited at the top of the stairs so I didn't interrupt. I tried to listen but couldn't hear them. When I finally could hear them, I knew the spiel was over. Just as I was about to head down stairs Ella caught up to me.
"Abigail. Is there anything I should know about their bedtime?"
"I already gave them their vitamins and a drink of water. If they ask for another drink don't let them have it or else they'll wet the bed in the middle of the night. You can let them go to the bathroom again but only once each and I told them you'll read them a story before they go to sleep. Is that okay with you?"
"Yeah. That's totally fine. Now, on another note, do you know where he's taking you?" She asked curiously with interest.
"No. He wants it to be a surprise. I still have to go home and get ready though."
"Well when you get back you're going to have to tell me everything that happens."
I laugh at her, "So your going to wait up?"
"How late do you think you'll be. This is your first date after all."
"Good point. But since your going to wait up do you think I could crash on your couch?"
"Yeah, why though?"
"Well Kyle and Kayleigh are so used to me leaving to go back to school at the end of the weekend so they think I'm going to leave any second. And I don't want to wake them up in the middle of the night to move them to my house. But I don't want them waking up here with out me here."
"That's good reasoning. Yeah you can definitely crash here. What are you going to tell mom?"
"Well I figured you could call her and tell her your gonna wait up for me." I say very hopeful.
"Oh-no! You can tell mom."
"You think she'll believe me?"
"How about this, you tell mom and then shoot me a text and I'll call and confirm that I'll wait up. But you get to drop the news bomb." She negotiates with me.
"Alright. Now I'd probably better get going." I say as we start to head down stairs.
"You ready?" Michael asks.
"Yep." I say to Michael, "Oh and don't forget to read them a story." I say turning back to Ella.
She laughs and says, "Have a good time."
Then Connor says in a protective voice, looking towards Michael, "Don't forget what we talked about."
Michael goes serious and replies, "I won't." Then I pull him out of the house and close the door, or we'd never get out of there. We climb into his truck and start heading towards my parents' house. "Reservations are at nine o'clock." He tells me.
"What was it that Connor told you?" I question him.
"Oh nothing really." He plays it off as if nothing was said between them.
"Obviously it was nothing, I mean it wasn't like you just got all serious or anything, when he told you to remember what he said." I told him sarcastically.
"Exactly." He responds.
"Michael!" I say getting a little frustrated.
"Do I have to tell you everything that someone says to me?" He asks.
"If it's about me or from my family, then yes!" I tell him.
Michael frowns.
"Well..."
"Well... what?" He says innocently.
"Well, what did Connor say to you?"
"Nothing important." He restated.
"Are you trying to mess with my patience?" I ask him.
"Abigail, it's okay to keep secrets. Not all things are meant for everyone's ears. And in this case, that conversation isn't meant for you ears." He states calmly.
Ugh. Really. "I hate that phrase. Not all things are meant for everyone's ears and this isn't meant for yours. As the youngest in my family, I was constantly told that."
"Okay, how about this one: I don't feel like you need to know about this."
"Better stated, but I still want to know. Obviously though, your not going to tell me." I say, calming down a little.
"Nope." He states proudly.
"Well then... what time should I be ready for you to pick me up?"
"Well it's 7:50 now and we'll be at your house in five minutes, then I have to go to my house, there and back it'll be twenty minutes, and I'll probably take about ten minutes to get ready. So at about 8:25."
"So you think it's going to take forty-five minutes to get where ever it is we're going?"
"Maybe. You always want to get to your reservation about fifteenish minutes early."
"Okay." I comment, just going along with it.
We talk for a few more minutes until we pull up the long driveway to my parents' house.
"What should I wear?" I ask before I jump out.
"Some clothes." He tells me.
"No, I was thinking about wearing a wooden jumpsuit." I say sarcastically.
"Hey, it's your choice what you wear."
I roll my eyes at him. "I meant, where are we going? Somewhere fancy? Or somewhere casual?"
"Whatever you want."
"Helpful." I tell him sarcastically.
"I do what I can." He responds with pride while pretending to slick his hair back.
I just laugh at him. "Okay. Well what are you gonna wear?"
"A tuxedo. "
"Okay, and what color tie?"
"Your favorite color."
"Ooh, I'm in luck. Okay. Well, see ya in a little while." I say as I'm hopping out.
"See you in half an hour." He tells me smiling as he drives off.