Chapter 9 ~ The Drive

I am suddenly awaken to being shook and hearing, "Mommy! Wake up!! Mommy!! Wake up!" Kayleigh and Kyle are chanting together.

I sit up and squint my eyes as they adjust to the light change. As they're adjusting I ask, "What do you two need?"

"We need you to get up!" Kyle responds demandingly. I look at the clock and it's now eight o'clock.

My eyes finally adjust to the light and I notice their faces. "Oh my! What happened?!" I ask since their faces and hair are totally white, covered in flour. They are also both wearing shirts that act like dresses on them.

"That's why we need you to get up!" Kayleigh says as she pulls on my arm.

I figure I should probably follow them. After I've seen what they look like, I can only imagine what they've done to the kitchen.

I get up and walk out of my room, down the hall, and into the kitchen where both Kyle and Kayleigh drag me to. On the counter I see a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and words piped on the top with strawberries around the edges. The words read: "We <3 You Mommy!!"

Then I feel someone tall wrap their arms around me. I whip around to see a smirking Michael. "Scare ya?" He asks.

"When did you get here?"

"Seven," he shrugs.

"To bake a cake?"

"No, to assist on baking a cake. Your bakers are these two little ones here." Michael tells me, gesturing towards Kyle and Kayleigh.

I look down to see them both smiling ear to ear.

"Are you gonna try it mommy?" Kayleigh asks.

"Sure, why not?" So after getting pictures with the cake and the twins, and Michael with the twins, I cut four small slivers out of the cake and we all try it. The first bite makes my mouth water. "This cake is phenomenally delicious!! Where did you learn to cook like this?"

"With so many younger siblings it just becomes second nature to you."

Once we were done enjoying the cake I give Kyle and Kayleigh a bath to clean them up and then pack. I'm finally all done packing, but now it's time to go.

I cup Kyle's cheeks in my hands. I say to him, "I love you yesterday, today, tomorrow, and always." I hug him tight and then kiss him on the forehead. I do the same to Kayleigh.

Then Michael and I are off. Heading back to collage since spring break is now over.

**********************

A picture of Michael's truck is added above.

**********************

The first twenty minutes on the road are complete silence. Then Michael breaks the silence "How do you do that every weekend?"

"Do what?" I ask confused.

"Leave your children. I've only known them for a week and it was still hard!"

"Some people say you get used to it, but honestly, it hurts just as bad every time. It gets worse the longer you get to stay with them too. Like now I was here for a week instead of a weekend. That made it difficult. Then after summer when we have to come back is the hardest." I tell him sadly.

"How come they haven't ever come to visit you?"

"I try to keep it on the down low at school. I've been thinking though, maybe this week, when we tell everybody about our courting, we could tell them about Kyle and Kayleigh. What do you think?"