Chapter 17 ~ New Hearts

Micheal's P.O.V

At eight in the morning, I'm in the same position as I was when Abigail left. Laying on her family's couch staring at the wooden ceiling. I'm so nervous and worried about Kyle, that I can't sleep. I've been laying here staring all night long. I heard Abigail's parents come in just then.
That's odd. I thought they were going to get back around five ish. Now it's eight. Oh well. I get up and head to the kitchen where Abigail's parents are standing.
"Oh I hope we didn't wake you." Abigail's mom said.
"No no, I've been up all night." I respond.
"Where's Abigail?" Her dad asks.
"Is Kyle any better?" Her mom adds.
"Actually no... in the middle of the night, his temperature spiked to 105, so Abigail rushed him to the ER. She left me here so we wouldn't have to wake a sleeping Kayleigh. However, I'm thinking now would be an appropriate time to do so." I tell them. Abigail's mom gasps as I talk; her face becomes very white by the time I finish.
"Did Abigail ever tell you..." Her dad pauses while he clears his throat. "What happened to Kyle when he was born?"
"They couldn't get him breathing at first." I said not seeing the point.
"Yes, and it took them a long time before they actually did. He ended up in the NICU for for the first two months of his life. He fills me in on the missing pieces.
"I'm going to get Kayleigh ready now," I say with worry evident in my voice.
As if on cue, I suddenly hear Kayleigh screaming bloody murder. Running into her room, I scoop her up, sit on the edge of her bed, and rock her back and forth trying to soothe her. "What's wrong baby?" I ask her.
"M-m-mommy and K-Kyle are m-m-missing!!" She stutters out.
"No princess, their not missing, they had to go somewhere." I attempt, trying to calm her.
"Where?" Her tears are slowing, but still streaming down her face.
"Why don't we get ready, and then I'll take you to go see them. How does that sound?"
"O-okay." She forces out, as a big smile appears in her face.
I tell her to put on the clothes that I lay out for her and then I turn to go and change my clothes. In the door way, I see Abigail's mom, standing there, watching me with Kayleigh. She's smiling, so that must be a good sign. I think to my self. As I get closer to the door she snaps out of a daze she was in, looks slightly embarrassed, and heads to her room.

**********************

Parked in the hospital parking lot, I stand with the back seat door open to my truck. Before I unbuckle Kayleigh, I look her in the eye and say, "Princess? Kyle is sick, this is why he is... in the hospital."
She looks at me with big eyes. "But you said they were going to be okay!" She bursts into tears.
I unbuckle her and gently pick her up. I rest her head on my shoulder and rub her back. She curls up into a little ball on me crying. I try to calm her and comfort her before we go in. "They are okay princess, just a little sick, that's all." I tell her.
Shy uncurls her self, still crying slightly she wraps her little arms around me as far she can reach. I continue to gently rub her little back as I walk into the hospital doors with her.
"What can I do for you?" The hospital receptionist says politely with a smile as I reach the counter.
"Hi, I'd like to know what room Abigail Brewster is in with her son Kyle Brewster." I tell the kind receptionist.
"I'm sorry but I'm only allowed to give that information out to family." She tells me. "I can call up to the room and see if she is accepting visitors though."
"Alright."

**********************

Abigail's P.O.V.

The phone to the hospital room rings, startling me. I jump up to get it before it wakes my sleeping little boy.

"Hello?"

"Hey Abigail, I have a visitor down here by the name of Michael Ulepp, requesting to see you. He has a little girl with him. Are you accepting visitors at this time?" My friend, Sasha, tells me. She's the receptionist here at the hospital.

I look over to see that Kyle is still sleeping and say softly into the phone, "Sasha, Michael is the father of Kyle and Kayleigh."

"Oh! I thought you didn't know who he was!"