Chapter 21 ~ Going Back

Sunday morning is here and I have to go back to school this week. There's only a week left before Christmas break, but I need to turn everything in. We couldn't fax the papers because the pencil is too light and Professor Bill prohibits pen. Though I could just send my papers with Michael, I feel like I need to go back for this week.
Church just got out and it's time for us to say goodbye to our kids. Standing in the parking lot, I turn to Kyle and Kayleigh, "Are you going to be good for grandma and nana?"
They both nod.
Looking at Kyle I say, "Be good and help out with your sister."
"I'm a big help mommy." Kyle tells me.
"You sure are, sweetie." I say as I kiss him on the forehead. "I love you, and I'll be back in a week."
Picking up Kyle, I turn, and hand him to Michael, who then says his goodbyes and buckles Kyle into his car seat. I squat down to eye level with Kayleigh, "How's your arm feeling?"
"Fine..." she says as she puts on her thinking face. "It's a little sore here though." She points to her wrist. "And it's very itchy, Mommy." She complains.
"I know, baby, but I can't do anything about it itching." I tell her sympathetically.
I think back to the time when I was fourteen and had a cast on my wrist. I had broken my wrist on my growth plate from falling while I wore heels for the first time. I've only ever worn heels twice after that. I stick to my boots. My cast constantly itched. I remember constantly carrying a cheep plastic paint brush with me wherever I went. It was the best to itch my arm with. Never bunched the padding of the cast or anything. I wasn't going to show this trick to my daughter though. It can become very frustrating with it itching, but if I show her how to itch it, she'll be itching it constantly and mess up her cast. She's only four.
I feel bad for keeping this from her, but I can't exactly tell her. "If it keeps bothering you, be sure to tell grandma or nana. Okay?"
She looks up at me with her big eyes and nods. "You definitely have you daddy's eyes, did you know that?"
This was a big risk, but both the twins have been calling Michael "daddy" lately, so I figured I was safe.
Kayleigh looked at me, then ran over next to Michael and tugged on his pant leg. When he looked down at her, she just looked up into his eyes and said, "Your right mommy."
She has the exact same bright blue-green eyes, shaped big and round, just like Michael's. Kyle has my eye color, but the shape of Michael's.
After Kayleigh's statement, Michael looks at me confused. "I told her she had her daddy's eyes."
Michael looks so pleased that I just called him her dad. "And," he starts, looking down at Kayleigh. "You have your mommys beautiful bright blonde hair, with my curls of course." He says all proud.
I have naturally curly hair too, only the curls are the giant kind, and my curls only show when my hair is short. I always have my hair long though, because of this, my hair is too heavy and pulls the curls out.
I smile at Michael's reaction and playfully shove him in the shoulder. "You're too proud." I tell him.
Playing along, he straightens his suit jacket and stands tall fixing his posture. "I do what I can." He tells me.
Kayleigh giggles at him. "Okay, time to get into your seat. I see nana coming this way." I tell Kayleigh.
"Why are we going with nana?" Kayleigh asks me.
"Nana wanted to spend some time with two of her lovely grandkids." I tell them.
"Okay." Kayleigh says.
Michael comes up behind me. "Here are the keys, I'm going to run in and change real fast before we head out."
"Alright." I say as I take the keys from him.
Just then Michael's mom reaches her car as I hook together the last of Kayleigh's car seat buckle. "Abigail, can I talk to you for a moment?"
"Yeah." I tell her.
After saying bye to the twins and closing the car door, I walk over to where she's standing, under a nearby tree in the shade about five feet away from the car. "I just wanted you to know that Michael is deeply in love with you. Every time he comes home, we're all practically shipping him off because all he does is talk about you." Hearing this makes me smile, and Teresa continues, "I'm so happy that God has lead you two together, because I have never seen a couple so perfectly
Matched as you two, and not to mention your crazy circumstances." We both laugh at this. "The twins are like a miracle, everyday, I think about them and I just think. 'If we hadn't of listened to God about donating those sperms, which sounded so crazy at the time, and still does, then we probably wouldn't be where we are today."
"I'm very thankful you guys went through with it. I didn't feel comfortable at all using sperms from a man who is older than me by like twenty years. I was so excited when I found one of a donor my age. God works in mysterious ways!" I said.
"Isn't that the truth!" Teresa remarks. "Well I better head back and take the twins out for lunch. We're going to have such a fun day today."
I smile as Teresa tells me what she has planned for the day. We hug and say goodbye, then I go and hop into Michael's truck. When Michael gets back and climbs into the truck, we start heading towards the college.