Chapter 14 ~ Summer at Last

Stopping again to get gas, I hopped out and went into the gas station. I went straight to the bathroom and cried. I was so upset. I didn't know what to do. Sitting in the single stall, gas station bathroom, crying, I started to pray, who better to help me than God? I talked to God for about eight minutes until someone knocked on the door.
"Just a minute." I called out as I quickly washed my face so no one could tell I've been crying. Then I wash my hands and open the door. There was a little elderly lady standing in front of me. I smiled and moved out of her way.
With the little extra cash I had in my back pocket, I bought a water and a chocolate. When I got back out to the truck Michael was just finishing up. Only having an hour left in the car ride, Michael speaks for the first time since he picked me up.
"Darling, did I make you cry." Michael's voice sounded worried and hurt. My eyes give away everything.
I just nodded my head 'yes'. What else can I do?
His eyes looked as if I just stabbed him. "I'm sorry... I didn't mean to hurt you." He tells me sincerely.
"Every good relationship has disagreements. That's all it was. Nothing more. Just a disagreement." I pause for a second, "I'm sorry too."
Michael pulls off the side of the road. He gets out and comes around to my side. Opening my door, he takes hold of my hand and helps me out. "I love you, I want you to know that. I want to be with you forever and ever. If you'll accept it, I want to be your twins' father. I-"
I stopped him right there. "No. I don't want you to be their father. They don't need nor want that. Having a father means that you have a bad relationship with your dad. I want them to have a dad. I want you to be their dad." I tell him.
He smiles down on me. Still with me in his embrace he continues, "I can't wait until that day when I get to see Kyle all dressed up holding our rings for us standing next to me and our little flower girl, Kayleigh, dancing down the aisle in her dress and throwing petals everywhere and then getting to see you walk towards me looking just as beautiful as always, glowing and sparkling, coming down the aisle to be with me forever. Knowing that one day, I'll be able to hold you every time you cry. Knowing that someday, I'll be able to kiss all of Kyle and Kayleigh's owies and make them all better. Knowing that someday we'll be able to have another baby, together, and this time, I'll be there for you and the baby, every step of the way." Holding eye contact with me the whole time, he goes on. "I love more than I can explain, Abigail. I want to be apart of your family."
I have the feeling again, only this time it's through my whole body. Still gazing into each others eye the temptation to kiss is so strong. Michael must feel it too because he steps back. I surly feel cold without being in his embrace. I feel a little disappointed that he stepped away but I'm happy because I know that is the best way. Knowing that if he hadn't backed away then I may not have been able to resist the temptation. This way I was able to and by doing so, we honored God.
Michael, still without saying anything, turns and walks back around the truck. He gets into the truck and sits down. I'm still standing just as he left me, trying to process everything he just told me. After a few moments I got into his truck. We started to drive down the road again.
"You are apart of my family." I tell him, once I processed everything he had told me. I hold my necklace out. "Remember? Your mom gave me this necklace and said, 'All the birthstones of you family.'" I quote her, as Michael smiles widely at me.
With only a little time left before we reach the house we just chatted happily the rest of the way.

*********************

I remembered to text Jason as soon as we had gotten into service, and now here we are in Gerlach. It's almost 8:30 at night here and I'm hoping my kids are still awake. Pulling into my driveway, Michael asks if I want any help carrying in all my items.
"As long as you don't say anything to my parents about our fight, then yes, I would love some help." I tell him.
When Michael comes around and opens my door for me, I take his hand and hop out. Hauling a box, a suitcase, and a back pack I head inside. As soon as I get into the house, I set the things inside the door and go back to get the rest. Seeing that Michael had all the rest, I went to my room where I knew the twins would be. As soon as I opened the door, I was tackled by them. Since they are both almost four, having them both jump into my arms at the same time when I wasn't expecting it, so it threw me off balance. Luckily, Michael was behind me and set me back on balance.
I'm so happy to be home and to have my family all together once again.

**********************

"Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things."
~ 1 Corinthians 13:4-7