Quake

Sleeping in the shed was probably the worst idea ever.

They're cramped, uncomfortable, hot in weird places they had been pressed together and cold everywhere else. Rain woke them on several occasions, and Katsuki had woken at least twice to being suffocated by Izuku's shirt or his jacket. The duffle bag was the worst pillow ever. Most of Izuku's weapons were in there.

Good thing the grenades were in the knapsack.

Once the slightest of light began to shine through the cracks of the shed door, the two crawled out of their hiding spot, sore, aching, and more exhausted than they had been the night before.

But, it was probably better than ending up with that group.

Izuku pushed the shed door open, peering outside. He adjusted the knapsack and gestured to Katsuki before stepping out of the shed. He closed the door behind them, mostly out of habit, pausing as he saw the door. "Katsuki..?"

"Mm?" He turned, hand in his hair. He looked to the door and halted.

'Quake' was spray painted on the door, just like on the sign.

"I think we're in their territory, Katsuki..."

The blond grit his teeth, huffing in agreement. "Let's hurry out of it, then... Don't wanna see those dickwads ever again."

Izuku nodded, following after him.

~

Katsuki groaned softly, rubbing his neck. Everything was so sore amd stiff from sleeping in the shed, shoved between totes, a Christmas tree and the wall, with Izuku crumpled on top of him.

He takes back the whole 'a roof and four walls' answer. He definitely needs a mansion and he won't settle for less. If he ends up included in a pile-up, he might set the house on fire.

Never again.

Although, tangled up with Izuku wasn't the worst thing in the world. It was kind of... Nice, holding him close and it wasn't terribly awkward or anything like that.

Now, if he'd been in that situation with, say Eijirou, he might have kicked the man in the chest. First off, dude's a brick wall. Katsuki would've wound up crushed beneath him. Second, he's not Izuku. That's reason enough.

Katsuki looked to his travel companion, just taking in the sight of him.

Frayed, stained clothing, hunched shoulders, tousled, curly hair, dark bags beneath his tired green eyes, and Katsuki couldn't think of a negative thing to say about him.

Izuku has definitely changed. He doesn't allow anyone to push him around. He's stronger, more confident, headstrong. He's smart, a quick-thicker, and studies their situation in seconds. He's witty and he reads Katsuki like an open book.

Katsuki has to admit... He's proud of who Izuku had become... Who he's made himself into. He didn't let the terrible things that have happened to him bring him down. He's used his past to make himself stronger and better. Katsuki doesn't think he would have had the strength to continue on like this. He definitely wouldn't have tried to help find a cure for the shitty people who had hurt him.

They trudged out of the neighborhood, opting to go through the trees rather than stick to the open roads. They'd rather deal with the infected in the foliage than try to handle maniacs that think they rule the world on the road.

"Katsuki..."

"Yeah?"

Izuku halted and pointed to a road sign.

'Quake' was once again the center of attention. Katsuki frowned deeply and urged Izuku on. He can't figure out why it's affecting him like this. Why is quake such a familiar term? It's really starting to piss him off.