C.D.C.

Izuku stared at the two on the sofa, stock-still. His expression remained unchanging, as if the words hadn't fully processed in his brain.

"No, that's... That can't be right..."

Mirio sighed and stood. "Axel - from my group - came from Georgia... We were headed to the CDC as well, but... Days before we could reach it, they had been overrun and the building was destroyed. Axel says there's nothing left. No way for a vaccine."

Katsuki watched the color drain from Izuku's face. He jumped to his feet and swerved around the sofa, gently grabbing Izuku's arm. He stood between Izuku and their 'guests', back turned to them. "Hey, go sit. Sit down, I'll go set up the room. It'll be ready in a minute."

Izuku swallowed hard, nodding slowly. Katsuki's frown deepened and he leaned closer. "Izuku..?"

"I'm... I'm okay..." He shuffled back and slowly sat down, hands in his lap. "Destroyed..?"

"Yeah, man..." Mirio looked a little sympathetic. "It's gone. There's no more CDC in America... As far ad we know, no where else is working on a vaccine - if there's anyone still alive on any other continent."

Katsuki grit his teeth and clenched his fists, turning back down the hallway. He threw open the bedroom door and started cleaning up, then slowed as he finished, realization dawning over him.

We won't be separated... He'll stay with me since he can't go down to the CDC.

~

Once Mirio and Tamaki were closed off in the back bedroom, Katsuki sat beside Izuku, taking his hand. The greenette leaned onto him, staring at the floor.

"The CDC is gone..?"

Katsuki sighed softly. "Izuku..."

"What am I supposed to do..? This whole time, I... I've been trying to get there, and it's gone. Destroyed..."

He tilted towards Izuku and pulled him close, kissing his head. "Izuku... We can find a place... Settle down and... Live. You can rest... With me..."

Izuku looked up to him, wet veridian meeting sincere crimson. He sniffed and leaned into him. He rested his head on Katsuki's shoulder. "That sounds nice..."

"Good..." Katsuki rubbed his back, staring at the fire. "Do you need something to eat?"

"Uhm... No. No I'm okay. Just need some sleep..."

"Alright. I'll keep watch, make sure they didn't lure the infected in our direction."

The greenette sighed and closed his eyes. "Alright... Stay here with me?"

Katsuki hummed, carding his fingers through his curls. "Yeah. I can stay."

~

Katsuki watched as the sun rose, chin propped in his hand with Izuku's head in his lap. He absently stroked Izuku's hair, listening to his soft, even breathing.

He paused as he heard the door creak open. Very quietly, very slowly, as if not wanting to be heard. Footsteps shuffled up the hallway and Katsuki shot a glare over his shoulder.

Tamaki halted as he met Katsuki's gaze on accident and quickly bowed his head. "I apologize. I didn't realize you were awake. I was just thirsty."

Katsuki glanced him up and down. No shoes, so he's not planning on running with their things. He nodded towards the kitchen. "In the backpack, there's some water bottles." This one appears harmless. Still, Katsuki needs to keep his guard up.

The ravenette muttered a soft thank you, making his way to the kitchen. He opened the bag, took a bottle, then closed it. Tamaki shuffled back to the hallway, then stopped. He swallowed and turned back. "Thank you... For helping us. I know it is hard trusting people and being willing to spend ammunition on strangers."