Hail Mary

"Oh my..."

"I-It isn't what you think!" He pulled away quickly, yanking his shirt back up over his bite.

She frowned. "Son, sit back down so I can treat it. You could die if that infection gets any worse."

He blinked a few times, staring wide-eyed at her. She gestured to the gourney and he slowly sat back down.

"You're immune," she stated and motioned her hands. He gulped and carefully removed his shirt. "This your first bite..?"

Izuku hesitated as she inspected the wound. "No... Second..."

She hummed and started gathering supplies. "Tell me what happened to you."

He snapped his mouth shut and turned his head away.

"If you don't tell me what happened, I won't be able to properly treat you. It's clearly more than this one bite that's wrong. You also have severe distrust and you shy away when someone gets too close. I saw you when Hatsumei brought you in."

Izuku looked back to the old woman, teeth worrying into his lip.

~

He lay curled up in the bed, hugging one of the pillows tightly. He stared out the window, covers pulled up to his chin.

Going over everything that's happened to him since his mother died had his stomach twisted tight and throat constricted.

However, the old woman reassured him that he was safe. She treated him, gave him medication, ensured he had plenty of water, and told him that he isn't the only one immune. Loader - or whatever his name is - is immune as well. He was bitten back when it all began. He and the woman, Chiyo, were the only ones in the group that knew. They didn't want anyone to panic about him having been bitten, and she assured him she wouldn't tell anyone that he'd been bitten as well.

Still, he can't get too comfortable with these people... No matter how kind they are.

~

"There you are, sleepyhead!"

Izuku jumped, choking on his water as Mei flounced into the room from his front door. He could have sworn he locked it. "Mei?"

"How's your shoulder? You finally got some color. Your cheeks are filling out, too!" She grinned and pinched his cheek. "I'm only gone for three days and you already look a million times better!"

He huffed softly and carefully pushed her hand away. He was glad she didn't fight it. "Yeah... Chiyo is good at what she does."

Mei grinned, taking his hand and pulling him towards his door. "Come on, come on! I've got some people for you to meet!"

"Uhm," Izuku gulped, stiff as he was dragged along.

Two men stood in the street, one tall and broad, eyelashes thick and long with swooping silver hair. Despite the hair color, he looked rather young. His age, maybe.

The other man was maybe Izuku's same height, straight blond hair and mocking purple eyes. He exuded confidence and pride in himself.

"Tetsu, Neito! This is Izuku!"

The greenette swallowed thickly, head tilted down slightly and shoulders hunched in as both men looked towards him.

The man with silver hair grinned and jumped forward, enthusiastically shaking his hand. "I'm Tetsutetsu Tetsutetsu! Sorry for not greeting you when you first came, Neito, Itsuka and I were headed out on a scavenge. It's pretty hard getting supplies and we needed nore blankets for the winter."