Inventory

Red eyes swept the trashed streets, machete in hand as he lead Izuku to the Grocery store. He went around to the back of the store, pushing open the back door.

"Usually the back door is locked," Izuku commented, stepping into the dark back room, pulling his flashlight out.

"They were in a hurry." Katsuki glanced back to the decomposed body that had been dragged away from the car parked crookedly beneath a tree. He sighed and closed the door, following Izuku.

Creeping through the pitch-black backroom, Izuku swept the light around, stepping slow and careful.

So far, no other sounds than them.

Katsuki inhaled through his nose, the air stale and still. No rotting smells, no burnt or mouldy smells.

Izuku carefully pushed open the swinging door, swiping the store with his flashlight. He knocked once, twice, both men holding their breath.

Not a peep.

When the greenette looked back to Katsuki, the blond nodded and gestured forward.

"We should find some bags that won't make too much noise."

"Shouldn't be too hard. Most stores had those reusable bags up at the front."

"So, get the bags at the front, fill them on the way back?"

Katsuki hummed and shrugged. "Sounds like a plan."

Izuku huffed and smiled, shaking his head. He made his way through the middle aisle, switching off his flashlight. The light from the large windows across the entire front wall was enough for them to see without wasting the batteries in the flashlight.

They easily found the registers, Izuku snickering as he held up the - quite frankly - terribly designed bags. Hearts, flowers, kittens and puppies. Cheesy.

Katsuki sighed, taking the two bags Izuku handed him, groaning as the greenette started muttering about which two he wanted for himself. Red eyes glanced over the signs, only stopping when he spotted the canned goods aisle. He made a beeline, leaving Izuku behind at the register.

These will be heavy as shit once filled with-

"God fucking damnit."

"What!?" Izuku jogged over, holding his bags.

"There's, like, nothing!"

"Well, yeah." Izuku nudged him before making his way into the aisle. "You really thought we'd get much in here? Don't worry, I saw lots of boxes in the back. They'll probably have something." He crouched by a basket that had been tossed. Two of the cans that had been in the basket were no good. Split open, the floor stained. So, Izuku inspected the other cans around and still in the basket, then placed them in his bags. "Fruit and soup. Look, and there's more cans further down."

Katsuki huffed and walked passed, kicking an empty can. There were a few more on the lower shelf and the top shelf. People just grabbed the closest things they saw. Too much work to crouch or stretch when on the run.

Stew and vegetables. Oh, God, and tomatoes. Lots of canned tomatoes. Not even in an emergency does anyone grab those.

But, you can add them to a lot. Katsuki scrunched his nose and grabbed two cans.

"Hey, I'm gonna see if there's anything else up here. You wanna search the back?" Izuku held up his flashlight to Katsuki, smiling.

The blond shrugged, taking the flashlight. "Yeah. Meet me back when you're done."

Izuku nodded, hair bouncing, then trodded around to the next aisle.

Katsuki lifted the bags onto his shoulder and trudged to the back, hands in his pockets. He flicked on the flashlight after opening the door and scoped the room before re-entering. First were the cleaning supplies, the office, breakroom- ah, storage.