Maine

TW :: use of the 'f' slur, depictions of death and blood and gore, suicial thoughts

Izuku remembers the day he first met Katsuki.

Second semester, freshman year in High School. He had just transferred due to... Issues, and the relief that he had from,those issues were freeing. No one laughed at him, mocked him, no one treated him as... A freak.

He had bumped into Katsuki in the hall, rushing to his class. He mixed up the directions and was late to his third period. He crashed right into the blond and both tumbled to the floor.

"Oh my God!" Izuku cried, sitting up straight. "I'm so so sorry! I didn't mean to- oh my God- my things are- oh, and I caused you to fall too and now you're probably going to be late too, I'm so sorry-"

"Do you ever shut up?"

Izuku blinked, taken aback by the harsh words that were spoken in a rather amused tone. The blond had a raised brow, posture relaxed as he leaned back onto his hands instead of pushing himself to his feet.

"It's no big deal. Teach sent me out to grab shit anyway. What's got you in such a rush? You the new kid?"

The greenette swallowed hard and nodded slowly, focusing on not blushing. The boy in front of him was just so... Handsome. Spikey blond locks, calm red eyes and flawless fair skin. "I-Izuku Midoriya..." He wanted to curse himself for stuttering.

The boy in front of him hummed. "Katsuki Bakugou."

Izuku smiled, thanking Katsuki as he helped pick up Izuku's things that had been scattered about the hallway.

In the week that followed, Izuku thought he had a friend. Katsuki had nasty language, but seemed genuine and kind. He sat with Izuku at lunch and offered to help tutor him, although that was more to show off his own academic skills than to actually help Izuku.

It only lasted the one week, though. Only five days, he had a friend. Only five days without being tormented because of his sexuality.

He walked into home room, a sinking, cold pit in his stomach forming as he spotted his classmates surrounding one desk. Terror clutched his chest as he heard his recorded voice confessing his feelings for another boy.

Katsuki was the first to spot him. Izuku knew it was foolish to hope that maybe it would be different here, but he still did for a few fleeting moments.

"You're gay..?"

"W-well," Izuku sputtered, shrinking back, "I'm actually bisexual, but-"

"You're still a fucking faggot!"

Izuku flinched, biting his lip and tearing up as the others joined in.

He'll never escape it. He should never have dared to hope this school would be different.

~

High school was literal hell. He dreaded every day, but didn't want to worry his parents any more. They had already moved once to be able to transfer him, and moving was so difficult for his step-father.

Katsuki called him names, knocked his things onto the floor, shoved him to the floor and against the lockers. He mocked him, laughed in his face, told him he'd never amount to anything.

And maybe he was right.

It really came to a head Junior year. Katsuki had it all. He's top of the class, he's popular, he's a shoe-in for Quarterback in the school's football team. All Izuku has is his friend Ochako and his Teachers' kindness.