CHAPTER 4: TEARS & BULLETS

Another dedication to a sweet friend who has helped me with the historical resources because she knows all about historical romances of the last century with her great book she's just completed 😉. So this chapter is dedicated to @tomgaryens Thank you so much, sweetie 💕😘

'I'd catch a grenade for you

Throw my hand on a blade for you

...

Oh, oh, I would go through all this pain

Take a bullet straight through my brain

Yes, I would die for ya, baby

But you won't do the same.'

If my parents' refusal was a hard knock, this, before me, was a bullet straight into my heart, and I realized it wasn't the best day of my life; it was the worst.

There was already someone in Spencer's arms—an almost naked girl on top of his shirtless form, more exactly.

Too perfect to be true. I recognized the straight brown strands, but it did nothing more as I was getting swallowed whole by the pit that had formed inside, or maybe a chaotic overflow was escaping from it. I didn't know.

I didn't know anything anymore as I watched my only certainty crumble down before my eyes. Spencer and Dorothy forever...

Through all the unsure and painful times, Spencer had been my refuge, and now, I had nowhere to run to.

"DD! Wait, it's... it's not what you think!"

I finally glimpsed his wide eyes, also taking in that it wasn't only his shirt that was missing before I shook my head frantically as if it could erase the image in front of me, and it would all vanish; I would wake up in my bed, look outside my window and find that comforting smile.

But no, I could have never imagined something like that, not even in my worst nightmares, and Spencer's handsome figure in only underwear appeared too clearly, pulling me out of my stupor when he took a step towards me.

"Dorothy, you know I love you. I..."

Those were the last words I heard as I ran. I had no idea where, but I ran, away from the green hut, away from Spencer, away from everything until... I collided with a hard chest.

"Oh, sorry, are you okay?"

I shook my dizzy head again, though I didn't know if it was to form a 'yes' or a 'no'.

The voice might have been warm, and the hands steadying me by my shoulders considerate, yet I couldn't explain what was happening; I couldn't even breathe.

I just needed to escape, and that's what I did.

I ran again... until I was stopped again.

It was definitely my day!

This time, I didn't crash into something rock-hard, though. The obstacle was soft, spongy, and creamy.

My birthday cake.

"Oh my god!"

Strangely, the only things that appeared clear in the blur were the woman's wide aghast eyes in front of me—as she, too, looked on the brim of tears—along with the children's laughs, which now resonated sinisterly inside the emptiness of my chest.