CHAPTER 60: BEYOND THE WHITE FENCE

I'm back from vacation! And I'm not alone! I know you missed Dorothy, Blade, and Spencer (and maybe a little me too 😉) I sure did miss you 💕

'It was the great escape, the prison break

The light of freedom on my face

But you weren't thinking

And I was just drinking

Well, he was running after us, I was screaming, "Go, go, go!"

But with three of us, honey, it's a sideshow'

*BLADE'S POV*

The white fence was standing perfectly aligned and ordinary like in my daydream as I stopped my motorcycle on the other side of the road, though the car parked in the driveway was reminding me that I wasn't welcome here. We were in reality, and all my senses were on alert for the moment it would turn into a nightmare as I jumped above the fence and sneaked into the backyard.

Luckily, that tall oak tree and the 'trendy' lattice were practical, and even with my muscles stiff as rock, I climbed up in less than three seconds, sliding through the open window as swiftly as all those times before.

I was still chasing my Shooting star. But this time, my mind didn't even get to take off that I fell back down into reality, and it resembled a lot to my horror vision.

Two hands were already holding her, the white fabric around her shoulders only bringing back too-fresh memories.

"Am I interrupting... again?" My sharp tone made Dorothy jump more than my grand entrance in her bedroom, but I couldn't help it.

Even after more than two weeks, it still hurt as much. There wasn't the knocking effect of surprise from the first stab, but the second time turned out to be a jagged knife gashing through the wounds that I'd tried to stitch back messily with hope and the sparks she'd lit up. After Saturday's glimpse, I'd stupidly believed she'd felt them too, and that a happily ever after could be possible.

But she already had her prince charming on a white horse, and I was the bad guy.

"No, it doesn't matter." I shook my head. It wasn't the moment for self-pity and heartache shits. "I'm here 'cause the pigs are gonna come for you."

Even if someone else's hands were taking her away from me, the important was that it wasn't Rye or Kenneth and that her eyes kept shining.

"I know. That's what Spencer was telling me." With the cracks of her voice, I took in the details I hadn't noticed at first sight: the shakes of her hands that Spencer could barely hold, the loose and white fabric around her shoulders that was my shirt, and the green of her eyes darker than I'd ever seen.

"My dad got a call from the station, and he warned me they'll come to arrest Dorothy."

Finally, I preferred the first scenario that had appeared to me because here, there was no happy ending for anyone, and their dark tones were annihilating any glimmer of hope. If the sheriff had gone against the law to warn him, it meant it was more serious than I'd imagined.

"Someone has given a new statement about a small red-haired girl."

"Rye," I seethed, the one syllable burning my tongue like acid. "I should've killed that bastard long ago!"