CHAPTER 23: METEORITE

'That every long lost dream led me to where you are

Others who broke my heart, they were like Northern stars

Pointing me on my way into your loving arms

This much I know is true

That God blessed the broken road

That led me straight to you'

Nonetheless, my next words breaking the silence in a gasp were quick to remind me that even if meteors may have shone for a second, they always crashed, and as my gaze came back down to the slopping path, my heart plummeted like a meteorite there.

"Oh no!"

I froze all my movements at the sight my flashlight illuminated: a little trembling ball of fur, and when I took in the stain of red, my whole body dissolved to nothing, but not in the good way from a few minutes before.

I didn't know how I was still standing, and it surely had to do with the hand holding mine and the strong chest I could feel against my back. But anyway, it wasn't my preoccupation as I quickly ran the light and my gaze all over the dark tuft, and once more, I quickly understood everything without words when I met those two gleaming black orbs staring at me from under a line of white hair.

It was a baby raccoon full of emotions I was too familiar with: pain, fear, and powerlessness.

I risked a slow step towards it, and as its only movement was more shakes, it confirmed what I'd supposed. It should have run, and it meant it was hurt.

From closer, I also recognized the unmistakable form of the wound. There were no claws or teeth marks.

"Oh no, it got shot. Those inhuman hunters, how can they hurt innocent lives?" I tried to keep my voice low to not scare the poor little raccoon more, but I could feel the energy coming back in my veins through boiling anger.

"And then they call us the murderers..." Blade was still holding firmly my hand, kneeling beside me when I did, and as I glanced at him, I could catch the deep frown shadowing his gaze almost as much as the little animal's black mask of fur in front of us. "It looks superficial, the bullet probably just grazed it. It'll heal."

"But it can't move, and if it stays here defenseless..."

"Yeah, it'll make an easy prey," he took over my cracking voice, as he was much more used to those sharp words, though it was the first time I didn't find any rolling syllable in his tone, and with the deadly echo of his words, I was sure even the little raccoon could hear it.

"No!" I exclaimed a little too loudly, making the raccoon squeal a sound that resembled my protest, and I was quick to lower my voice, turning back to its little onyx eyes. "We won't let that happen, don't worry, little baby."

It squealed again, but this time, I was sure it sounded more like an agreement.

"Give me the bag," I told Blade, keeping my focus on the little raccoon, which seemed to shake less.

"What–"

"Give me the bag," I repeated, not letting him question, though I was still surprised when he complied and gave it to me silently.

I could feel two pairs of curious eyes on me as I was searching through the large bag, but I didn't stop. When I was driven by the loud beats of my heart, I was a shooting star, and when I pulled out leftover crackers from our picnic, Blade's question didn't even slow me down.