CHAPTER 29: NEW FRIENDS AND WISHES

'I come home, in the mornin' light

My mother says "When you gonna live your life right?"

Oh momma dear, we're not the fortunate ones

And girls, they wanna have fun'

Late, I was really late.

I didn't have to look at my watch to know it. The orangey colors drowning on the horizon, and the darkness expanding everywhere were enough, and when I slowed down my bike, it felt like the shadows were chasing me. Though maybe it was just the echo of too many voices in the back of my head reminding me to never go out alone at night.

I'd never been as fast to hop down my bicycle and secure my bike lock, and even if I'd never been on this side of the property, I didn't dawdle, neither took a look around before ringing at the door, my eyes drawn to the light I glimpsed through the transom of the front door.

I really took in how much I'd rushed when the door opened, and my breathless voice broke the silence of crickets and a faraway out-of-whack rooster.

"Hi, sorry... I'm late – I hope it's not too late... I..." I searched for an excuse, but I had no breath, neither the courage in front of those two wide eyes.

The truth was also too much to explain and better left secret when I had seized the opportunity of going out of my bedroom – or should I've said: cell – to make a detour to a particular shooting range on the other side of the town.

It would surely be impossible to understand for anyone how I'd needed to make sure a baby raccoon was fine because in so little time I'd grown attached to the cute wild animal, and maybe Meteorite wasn't the only one. It hadn't been him holding me back for those 40 minutes late.

"I'm really sorry," I added instead of revealing forbidden details, and when I didn't get more reaction, I quickly checked my appearance. But no, everything was normal, even my bag prepared with all the necessary. "It's today, Wednesday, the pajama party, right?"

"Oh, yes, yes!" The words 'pajama party' pulled Rachel out of her trance, and I could see it all click like a light switching on in her clear eyes.

"I just had given up anyone coming..." As fast as her gaze had lit up, the light wavered with her look down at her worn-out slippers. "You're the first and only one."

"What?!" Who? More exactly. 

Did I really need to ask? Only one person had this talent to make everyone look down, and not only literally.

"None of the girls of the team came. They surely have better things to do..." She still wasn't glancing up at me, even if she was taller than my petite figure, and I wasn't sure which one of us was feeling smaller in this instant. "I understand if you don't want to stay either."

"You tell me Diane and her minions aren't here?" I asked cautiously, as much in fear of making Rachel break down as of seeing Diane's fake smile appear out of nowhere, with, of course, her captain jacket.

"No, no one."

"You just gave me one more reason to stay! If the invitation is still open?"

"Yes, of course!" Rachel's gaze finally lifted up along with the corners of her lips in a large smile, though I still caught the hint of disappointment shadowing her eyes as she stepped to the side to let me in. "Come in, and give me your jacket."

"Oh no, thanks, I'm fine," I refused in spite of her extended hand and expectant eyes, tightening the wrap of my scarf around my neck.

It wasn't that hot, and as soon as all the efforts I'd made would cool down, I would be comfortable. Well, that was what I told myself, but I wasn't sure when we entered the living room at the end of the hallway.