CHAPTER 59: NEW DAY

As promised, here's the new chapter, and I wanna dedicate it to @KryenAngel for being the first to guess the POV 😉👏 and also to thank you for all your little comments on my stories 😘✨💕

'If you're looking for trouble

You came to the right place

If you're looking for trouble

Just look right in my face'

*BLADE'S POV*

"So here's the lucky bastard who got chosen!" A familiar voice called just when I lit my cigarette, the thought of enjoying peacefully the nicotine dispersing like smoke as I lifted my gaze to find Wayne and Clinton walking in my direction.

"Just kiddin'. We know it's always been you," Wayne added, stopping at a 'comfortable' distance, just in case I wouldn't catch the humor.

If truth be told, I hadn't been in a really humorous mood these past weeks. But lucky for them, today was a good day – and mostly, I didn't have time to wash off blood stains from my tee-shirt, so I just took a long inhale of my cigarette.

"We didn't want anyone else, and definitely not Rye!" Clinton chuckled, fueling my ego and my smirk as I remembered that fucker's face when his daddy had announced my name.

Yeah, today was going to be a good day.

"Should we call you 'boss' now that–"

A grunt a few feet away interrupted Clinton, who widened his bloodshot eyes at the large man and the raccoon on his shoulders. Clearly, he wasn't seeing straight because they were impossible to miss in the empty courtyard.

"Oh, hi Pete!"

"Kids." Pete nodded, his deadpan look landing on me before he mumbled something under his breath that sounded a lot like a hostile purr from here. The only thing that let me guess it wasn't coming from Meteorite was the movement of his beard, though the passive-aggressive look in the raccoon's eyes was as obvious.

To think Dorothy had convinced me he was harmless one month ago. She was too good...

I shook my head at the memory, coming back to the present to see Pete and Meteorite were already walking back inside the shooting range, the single flyer he'd been reading for the past 10 minutes that I'd been here now abandoned on the mailbox.

"What's his problem? Someone's pissed in his morning coffee?" Clinton turned to me as if I was the one who'd done it.

"Maybe he didn't get enough sleep? You know old people need more rest. I read that somewhere."

Yes, Wayne should've definitely said that to the old man who'd been waiting half of the night like an overbearing mother for me to come home. Pete would have appreciated.

"Speaking of sleepin', why'd you leave your party so early? You missed all the fun! Mason broke his record of hot dogs swallowed, and the chicks did a special striptease!" he exclaimed as if it wasn't happening almost every other weekend. "Mason did too, but that, let's not talk 'bout it."

Okay, that had never happened, though from the way he shivered at the memory, I definitely hadn't missed anything.

If it was to see the moon, I'd been better looking at the one in the sky, and Carrion, the South hill really had the best view for that. Though with the remaining clouds from the afternoon storm, I'd caught no stars.