CHAPTER 37: MIRACULOUS DAY

Thank you to @FrancesDaaeBlue21 for suggesting this song above! It fits perfectly! And like I've already said, don't hesitate to suggest me songs that make you think of the story, I love to take inspiration from my lovely readers, and you might see them in future chapters 😘

'I spend a lot of nights on the run

And I think, oh, like I'm lost and can't be found

I'm just waiting for my day to come

And I think, oh, I don't wanna let you down'

I realized I hadn't even started praying for myself when the sound of hooves echoed closer and closer, and instead, I let my mind drift to all the things I would never see, all the wishes for freedom that would never realize.

So that was it, the end, this sensation of unfinished, the emptiness, the powerlessness spreading with the coldest shiver I'd ever felt. I'd imagined something else than the tears, the thuds of my heart, the echo of steps speeding up, and the loneliness. At least, I hoped all those cold feelings would make me numb enough for it to not be too painful.

However, something added to my requiem, and the unmistakable sound pulled me out of this torpor like a stroke of lightning. My heart jumped with the neigh, and my eyes opened to take in the imposing figure rising on two hooves beside me.

If it hadn't been for the bull stopping in front of us, I would have thought I was in heaven. The horse was so majestic, strong, and powerful, and I just had time to catch the dots all along its clear coat before it ran to the bull and turned three inches away to take off on the dirt road, catching all the bull's attention and leading it to follow.

Gem, the wild horse had saved me.

"DD!"

I was still paralyzed, staring in the far distance at the now empty dirt road when two arms wrapped around me, a hint of familiar citrus bringing me back fully to earth.

"Thanks Godness!" Raymond tightened his hug for a second before pulling away, his worried eyes running all over my features as if I was a fragile little thing.

Well, I looked like it with the tremors shaking my body and the wetness on my cheeks, and I'd been as helpless seconds before.

"Gem, saved me, the horse," I managed to say between shallow breaths.

"I know, I saw the bull from the other side, and I came as fast as I could, but there were all the other cows on the way." I realized his own voice sounded breathless, maybe because he'd been powerless too. "It's a miracle the horse was there!"

My heart skipped one of its erratic beats upon his words, even my shakes stopping as I tried to remember if I'd seen the horse in the field. Of course, I hadn't noticed the bull either in my rush. Yet Gem was wild, and from what I knew, they kept her apart. So how had she gone out and found me?

It seemed like a miracle indeed, or at least, a special and inexplicable connection, and this led the bangs of my heart to someone else...

"Raymond, the cows are back in their pen!"

Before I could find the words to ask the question on my lips without letting out something deeper, the same policeman from the church rushed to us, exactly like during the mass, except that his shoes weren't clean anymore.

"Okay, go help Derek and the others to catch the bull and the horse."

"But... and the emergency of the phone call on Levy lane?"