The Other Girl

As you stepped off of the elevator, you couldn't stop thinking about what Himari said.

Okay. So what if it's his ex. I have exes too. That doesn't have to mean something is going on, right? But why send me out of the room when you are having a conversation with her? And why is she calling?

Trying to think about the task at hand instead, you thought about the lunch that you needed to get and looked around at the restaurants that were in the area. You spotted a ramen place that you had heard great things about that was located kitty corner from the office, and decided to take off in that direction.

You weaved your way through the crowded street, which seemed much busier now that it was the lunch rush, eventually stopping at the corner to wait for the crosswalk sign to change.

As you stepped off of the curb, you suddenly felt yourself being pulled back into the curb by a large hand. Less than a second later, a delivery truck flew by in the same place you were standing just a moment earlier.

You turned around to face the person that helped you and saw a tall, very attractive man in his early twenties.

The first thing you noticed were his sanpaku eyes. They were a bright emerald green with an intensity that bore through you. His lips were pierced two times, once through the center labret, and another one on the side about an inch away from the center one. Both ears were also pierced with simple, wide, black studs in them. His dark hair was unruly and slightly fell over one of his eyes, which he brushed it away with his hand, only for it to fall right back into place again.

"Uhhhh,...thanks," you squeaked out.

"You okay?" he said, his baritone voice tickling your ears slightly.

"Yeah," you said, trying to process everything that had just happened. "Still in one piece, thanks to you."

Maybe I need to pay better attention, this is twice in just a few days that I've almost gotten very injured by something that I didn't even see.

"Be careful. The cars in this area seem to always be running red lights, especially at this intersection. Don't want you to hurt that cute face of yours."

You felt yourself blush slightly before saying, "Good to know, I just started working around here, so I'll have to remember that."

"Oh? Where are you working at?" he asked.

"I just started an internship under Hawks this week."

"I'm actually right down the hall from you at the Edgeshot agency."

"Edgeshot is one of my favorite heroes. I was really hoping that I would have gotten a call back when I applied there last week."

"Well, it's a bit disappointing to hear that you are somewhere else now. I am very certain that I would have enjoyed having you there. I'm Yugen Akishino, by the way."

"Y/n l/n."

"So what's it like working for Hawks?"

"Well, right now his arm is broken, so it's just been a lot of research for upcoming missions that he is going on. Nothing overly exciting. How's it working for Edgeshot?"

"It's gre---," he started, then added. "Shit. We got so distracted that it looks like we missed the light," he said, pointing across the street at the crosswalk symbol which was now red again, then adding on, "Are you on your way to lunch?"

"I'm picking up food to bring back from the ramen place."

"I was headed there too. I'll walk with you if you don't mind."

"Sure," you said outloud while thinking to yourself, "What is in the water here that these guys are so effortlessly hot? He looks like he would be amazing ..... Ugh. Stop. I just started... well.... I'm not actually sure what to call my relationship with Hawks. But either way, I don't need to complicate things by thinking things about someone else."

You continued your small talk with Yugen as you walked to the ramen place and back, only stopping your conversation after you got off the elevator together.

"I hope I get to see you around a lot more, y/n l/n," Yugen said in a flirty voice as he turned towards the opposite end of the hallway.

"Yeah, you too," you said, waving goodbye. "Thanks again for saving me. See you around."

As you entered your shared office with Hawks, he peered up at you for a moment as he was just finishing up his phone call with who you asssumed was Mika. "Yeah, 6 o'clock is fine.....see you then."

You wanted so badly to ask what his conversation was about. About who Mika was to him. But you held back since you weren't even sure what you were to him.

"Is this from the ramen place across the street?" he asked as he looked through the bag you had set down on the desk.

"Uh-huh," you said, nodding your head.

"Have you eaten there before?"

"Nope, first time," you said, shaking your head.

"I can't wait to see your face when you try it then."

As you ate the ramen, you kept thinking back to Hawks' phone conversation, trying to figure out what it meant. He must have noticed that you were thinking fairly deeply because he interrupted your thoughts to ask, "You okay, dove? You seem to have something on your mind."

"Yeah, I'm good," you lied.

"Clearly something is bothering you."

You continued to eat silently, until he interrupted the silence by asking, "Is this about Mika? I wasn't sure if you were going to be the jealous type or not."

"I didn't mention her at all. It seems like you are hoping I'll be jealous."

"Perhaps, a little. I was hoping to see that you were as infatuated with me as I am of you and wanted to keep me all to yourself."

"Are you saying you want to be kept?" you asked, a coy smile spreading across your face.

"By you? Yes."

"And what about---?"

"Mika? I only have to talk to her because of work. Also I'm sure Himari already said something about her, but I want you to know that it was never serious with her. She never even got to see my place."

"So I really am the first girl to ever see where you live?"

"Yep," he said, letting the p pop at the end. "And not just because you are taking care of me while my arm heals."

"Speaking of your arm, you seem to be managing fine on your own. Do you actually need me to be helping you 24/7? Don't think that I didn't notice when you got yourself dressed just fine this morning. "

"Oh?" he said, eyebrows raising in faux surprise. "You noticed that?"

You gave him a deadpan stare before he chuckled loudly and said, "I have to admit, I didn't really think you would take me up on my offer to move in."

"Well I thought you actually needed my help."

"I do need your help, just in different ways."