stellify

[ Next chapter is the last one plus the epilogue! Thank you for coming on this journey with me! ]

stellify (v.) - to turn into a star; place among the stars

"You know, I've never been fond of Alexi, and I've worked with the man for a long time." Jenny told her when they were seated outside of the small cafe five minutes from the hotel. Samantha sipped the coffee in front of her, finally calmed down from the press conference.

"He really should keep up on his reading." She muttered, looking back up to Jenny, and she nodded in agreement.

"He was out of line, I hope he finally gets canned for it. Everyone else knew about Nash, somehow he never got the news." She sighed. "I am sorry to hear about Nash, we all are. I know how good you two were for each other."

"Thank you. I never thought I would lose him so soon, he had so much more life to live." She responded. "I tore my ACL my senior year of high school and of course had to have surgery. A few days after there was a knock on the door and Nash was standing outside, drenched head to toe because it had been pouring. That was the first time he told me he loved me, and it felt like it was out of a movie." She said, giving a smile at the thought of him.

"He sounds like a fantastic guy. The world lost a really good man." Jenny said, squeezing her hand.

"He really was. I've had it rough the last few years, and he always knew what to say and when to just be there for me." She sighed as their breakfasts were placed down in front of them.

"I read about your attempted murder case in the news. He broke into your hospital room, right?" She asked, and Samantha lifted her chin to show her the scar from the failed coup de grace.

"I have a scar from a knife in my shoulder too. But that's only the surface of all my issues." She chuckled as she took a bite of her toast.

"All of those issues you think you have only makes you stronger, sweetheart." She told her, and Samantha just laughed.

"Sounds like something he'd say." She chuckled. "Thank you."

"For what?" Jenny asked.

"For being here." She responded, smiling at her.

--

The day for their semifinal game against the Netherlands had finally come, and Samantha was right back where she needed to be. Alexi Lalas had a wake up call and formally apologized to her over Twitter as well as an apology following the release of her statement to the two fans. She had a little bit of pep in her step after her breakfast with Jenny, and she felt good. She felt like she was back at the top of her game before Nash passed, not that she was not still at the top of her game.

They walked into the locker room after warmups, confidence and nerves playing a big role in their game day prep. Music blared and everyone got pumped up, and even Samantha found herself in a space to get hyped up with the team instead of in her own headspace. Once they were all dressed in their uniforms they went out into the hallway, standing next to the Netherlands starting lineup. Both teams walked out onto the field, energies high and mighty.

The whistle blew for the first half of the big semifinal match began, and Reed tuned out the crowd. She watched as the ball began to move off the spot, and she knew that this was another game of win or die, and she was not ready to give up her dreams of winning gold. The Dutch also knew this game to be do or die, and they were trying to achieve their dreams and set a record for the first squad to reach a medal match.

The first part of the first half was fairly quiet, which surprised her. However, the game was aggressive and fast paced, and she could tell it came from nerves and wanting control of the game. She had hoped for a few shots on net to set a rhythm, but she was not disappointed that she had not faced anything too difficult to save. However, the Netherlands turned on the burners near the end of the first half, Van de Donk sending a split ball in between Dahlkemper and O'Hara, sending Martens in one on one with Reed. She watched and tried to time the save, but Martens sent a hard, curling ball to the opposite post, and although she got fingertips on the ball, it went past her, Martens celebrating her goal with the rest of the stadium that were there in support of the Dutch. The halftime whistle blew, and for the first time in their tournament campaign the USA were down a goal going into the locker room. Reed was not going to let that one goal get her down, but she felt the weight of the world on her shoulders now.