𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒: 𝐈𝐧𝐬𝐮𝐥𝐭𝐬 𝐚𝐬 𝐒𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐬

SEVERUS SNAPE WAS indeed stood behind her and by the look of mortification on Minerva's face, Lilith assumed that he had heard every word of her anti-Snape speech. While expecting a retaliated campaign of verbal annihilation aimed at her, Severus had flatly stated that Dumbledore requested her and strutted away all cloaks blazing. That seemed to conclude her fourth interaction with the professor.

"Minerva!" she exclaimed throwing her hands in the air exasperatedly.

"Dear I'm so sorry. I really tried to communicate it to you. Honestly I don't think it was that bad-"

"That bad? That bad! Oh Winnie it was positively awful." she buried her face in her hands shaking her head frustratedly.

"I hate to pry but you really mustn't keep Dumbledore waiting. Don't worry about Severus, I'll speak to him." Minerva smiled sympathetically. Lilith nodded in response as she awkwardly stood from her chair, making her way to the door that Severus slammed which she now also considered slamming.

The path to Dumbledore's office was confusing. She seemed to be taking two steps forward and one step back not knowing which turn to take. Just as she was about to enter another set of stairs the door in front of her opened. She stopped abruptly and peered her head round the door only to find a seated Dumbledore clearly anticipating her arrival.

"Lilith." he exclaimed. "I do hope you don't mind me calling you by your name instead of Professor Arcane."

Lilith smiled at the old man's hesitation. "Of course you can call me Lilith, I prefer that. It makes me feel as though we are friends and not just colleagues." She wiped her foot with the other feeling awkward addressing an old man as being her 'friend'. She didn't think people used that phrase past a certain age without it seeming childish.

"My dear we are more than friends here at Hogwarts. We are family. Don't you ever forget that." He replied kindly as he reached over his desk. "Sherbet lemon?" he asked holding the wrapped yellow sweet at arms length.

"No thank you Professor. But I assume you've brought me here for something more other than a boiled sweet" she pondered out loud.

"Straight to the issue at hand as always." She smiled at that. "Each year the professors usually attain an assistant of some sort, obviously to help around the classroom, with student's work and tutoring." Lilith hadn't really considered the prospect of an assistant, she barely thought she needed one because it was the challenge that her work would indefinitely provide that she knew would keep her occupied.

"With all due respect Professor I personally believe I am more than capable of handling the class business without an assistant. Though if I do ever need the assistance I would ask immediately." She answered honestly, not wanting to question Dumbledore but also not wanting to take the time away from another person when it really wasn't necessary.

"Lilith I have every faith in you and your classroom. The proposal wasn't for you to attain an assistant, it was for you to be an assistant." Lilith also hadn't considered this prospect either, it was difficult to think through as she wouldn't be on her own time, it would be the time of someone else which meant she had to be at hand for another professor as well as keeping up with her class. "Remember it's only an offer Lilith, you're under no obligation to fulfil it."

"Which subject?"

Dumbledore awkwardly scratched the back of his neck and took a breath before he spoke.

"Potions."

It was in that moment Lilith wanted to reject the position entirely, the thought of enduring Severus Snape longer than required felt like self inflicted torture but the more she thought, the clearer her possibilities became.