𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟔𝟖: 𝐑𝐮𝐥𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

"LUCIUS?"

"Yes, my Lord?"

"The door."

He stared blankly for a moment between Voldemort and the door towards the end of the table. He sat confused in his seat until a hurried knock echoed around the twists of the room. Before Lucius could modestly stand to open the door, the door itself burst open to reveal a disheveled Mira with eyes both equally enraged and fearful. Even amidst her hurry she still bowed to Voldemort and was unable to lift herself from the floor from exhaustion.

Lucius on the other hand had obediently placed himself back in his seat assuming that no good would come from Mira's return. Therefore it seemed sensible to watch the scene unfold from the sidelines rather than be planted in the same pitiful zest of kamikaze Mira had created for herself.

"Forgive me, my Lord." She spoke through panted breaths as her hand clutched her chest as though it would ease her state. Silly girl, Lucius thought. You ought to be clutching your wand for defence.

"Forgive me." She repeated again.

The candles in the room had been abruptly diminished from the gust of forced wind that followed swiftly behind Mira's intrusion. Together they sat in collective darkness that wasn't near as tormenting as the tension laced within the walls. Voldemort had shifted in his seat, holding his wand in one hand as his index finger and thumb on the other trailed along the frameworks.

"My Lord, what is she talking about?"

Voldermort looked at Mira with evident disdain, his face was calm and collected despite knowing exactly why Mira was begging for forgiveness.

"She doesn't want to die."

"I tried!" She shouted with heightened aggression. "Severus knew I was there the entire time. Do you know how hard it is to stay hidden when you've already been found?"

"My secrets are still hidden no matter what they think they've found, Miss Wood. Clearly, some of us hold greater dedication than others." His voice was taunting, encouraging Mira to step further out of line so she would truly be worthy of any harmful inflictions. That thought made her pause, simmer down her anger and tip her head to the floor in submission.

"They stayed at the same place again. Or at least for some time. I lost them but their bags stayed there until earlier today. I assume they've returned to Hogwarts, my Lord. But they went there... to the cave. They know, my Lord. They know."

There was a form of clarification in the silence that encompassed in the room. They know. Except Voldemort knew that a long time ago. The extent of what they knew was the only uncertainty to y. How much or how little did they know? Did they know everything or had the simple somethings tucked themselves out of the way of being recognised? For too long now he had enabled them to pursue their only theories and with each stepping stone further into knowledgeable waters, he risked Severus Snape and Lilith Arcane figuring out what they needed to know.

Voldemort hadn't acted sooner because how could he? It was much easier to allow them to believe that they were still the leaders of their paths. It allowed Voldemort to prepare for what was to come... If it eventually came to that.

The incessant whines and cries from the pathetic so called loyalty in front of him had completely disrupted and entangled his thoughts. He stared at Mira as acknowledgement of her fate rested in his callous eyes and her pleading ones.

"I can be better. Just let me try... I can go to Hogwarts. For the sake of Salazar! I can do what Severus clearly isn't doing! I can kill her god damn it! Just just let me try."