Chapter 21 Another Job

Daniel was about to reverse, to head back on the branchline, to get back to the sheds, but then he remembered how he would have to reverse the whole way, and that was one of the reasons he didn't do that in the first place. He quickly stopped, and looked back at Stephen and Sir Robert. "Uh... I'd have to reverse... wouldn't that be a little dangerous?" Daniel asked

"Reverse? On... the Ffarquhar Branchline? Why would you need to reverse, you can use our turn table outside the castle" Sir Robert said.

"Turn tabl- oh! Of course! Sometimes I forget those things exist heh.." Daniel said as he backed out of the castle.

He found himself on the turn table, and patiently waited for it to finish turning. As he was fully turned around, he started his pistons and moved forward. "Thank you Stephen and Sir Robert!" Daniel said. "You're welcome Daniel!" Stephen called out to him as he puffed away.

***

Since it was still early in the day, Daniel wondered if there was anymore jobs he could do. But first, he wanted to check on Thomas. He was pretty sure he was working on his branchline, and he actually was. Daniel was coming down on the branchline tracks, just about near the first stop of the line, Knapford. Thomas was at the platform, with his two couches, waiting for the passengers to bored. 'There he is!' Daniel exclaimed, and was about to head over to him, until he heard someone calling out his name.

He applied his breaks, and stopped only to see that it was a workman calling out to him.

"Daniel!" The workman yelled out. As he quickly ran over to him. It was the same workman from earlier, who helped Daniel shunt the trucks at the yard. "Oh, hi!" Daniel said. "I'm glad I've noticed you from all the way across the tracks. We need your help. Some very important trucks are going to the Sodor Search and Rescue Center. We need your help, since you're technically the only free engine."

"Trucks?" Daniel said, cringing, remembering the senerio that played out yesterday. He sure didn't want anything to do with those "Troublesome Trucks" ever agian. "Dont worry Daniel, these aren't the Troublesome Trucks. They're non-sentient trucks."

"Phew-" Daniel said.

"So, would you care to help lad?" The workman asked. It seemed he was desperate to find an engine. And the "Search And Rescue Center" sounded really important to Daniel. Daniel looked over at Thomas, who was still at the platform. He hadn't noticed Daniel who was a few tracks away from him. 'I'm doing ok. I don't need Thomas's approval'

Daniel looked over at the workman. "I'll help"

"Great!" The workman exclaimed.

*****

Daniel puffed over to the yard, and into it. He then puffed backwards, up to the cars, and the workman attached his back coupling chain to the trucks. There where coal trucks, and some flat beds, with beams. Big heavy beams.

The workman said something underneath his breath, sounding like he was saying that he probably should of picked a bigger engine. Daniel honestly was about to just give up, after hearing that, but he decided that he was going to try.

"Are you sure you can carry this? I didn't realize it looked this heavy." The workman said. "It's fine" Daniel said. "So, where is... this Rescue Center?"

"Since an engine was supposed to take this, the tracks are already switched. So, you don't have to call out to the station masters to switch the lines. Just head down on the mainline. You'll turn right after Suddery junction, and head along the Brendam Branchline. You'll continue onto the branchline, until you come up to Suddery Station. Don't stop at Suddery. There's a switch just after, and you'll now head along the Sodor Coastal Line, and that'll take you right to the Sodor Search and Rescue Center. You can't miss it, it's huge"