Chapter 39 Plowing Through The Snow

Thomas carefully plowed the snow that was in front of him. It was hard work. The snow was thick, and it was putting a strain on his wheels. He puffed, and puffed, pushing the snow away. What made it even harder, was that he was pulling Daniel behind him. "Ugh, come on Dan, at least help me..."

Daniel thought that Thomas could handle everything on his own, so he didn't even think to help him with an extra push. "O-Oh.. How should I?" Daniel asked. Thomas grunted as his wheels was straining even more. "Chug backwards, and push into me..."

Daniel snorted.

Thomas sighed. "Not like that Daniel..."

Mark, who was sitting inside Thomas's cab, couldn't help but laugh softly. "Ugh, not you too.." Thomas grunted. "Daniel, please? My wheels are killing me..."

"Fine, I'll help." Daniel made more steam flow down to his pistons, aiming to now move on his own power. But he wasn't paying attention, to see that he was chugging a little to fast, and accidentally slammed into the back of Thomas a bit to hard, making the poor blue tank engine jerk on the track. "Ow! Daniel! My buffers!" Thomas snapped. Daniel gasped. "I'm sorry! Didn't mean to do that..." He braked a little, allowing his back buffers to softly press into Thomas's back buffers, and applied his breaks a little. Then, he added just slightly more power, where he was now pushing into Thomas, just by a little bit. Now, Thomas was not pushing into the snow all on his own.

He sighed in relief. "Thanks Daniel..." He said. Daniel smiled. "No problem Tommy."

The snow last light covered all of the mainline. Thankfully, the main track that is used by the express engines, was already cleared, but the two lines on either side was all covered. And that was big issue, because local trains have to use the tracks on either sides.

"It's a good thing you're here to help me Daniel. I never really have any help when I'm plowing the snow. You're a really big help right now." Thomas said. Daniel smiled. "You're welcome Thomas." He said.

As they where chugging on the mainline, there came the monstrosity.

Gordon's Hill

"Cinders and Ashes...." Thomas said, with his voice sounding nervous as he saw the mountain of snow trailing down the hill. Daniel heard Thomas, and questioned why he sounded on edge. "Tom? What's wrong?" He asked.

Thomas sighed. "Gordon's Hill, that's what's wrong."

Daniel took a second to register what Thomas said, but when he did, he groaned. "Oh, come on! I forgot about that!" He grunted. Mark peaked out the window of Thomas. "Uh... need me for anything?"

"Yes, I actually do. Shovel in some more coal into my firebox. This is gonna get tricky." Thomas said as he started to chug up the hill. Mark quickly looked to his left, at the rack that held the shovel. He opened Thomas's firebox, and quickly shoveled in coal from the coal bunker. As the firebox grew more full with the coal, the heat blazed more strongly, which, made Thomas feel a little good, considering that it was 20 degrees.

As the heat flowed into the tubes from the fire shaft, Thomas's boiler started to boil the water more, and more. Causing more steam to generate to head to his pistons. "Thank you, Mark." He said as he pushed the plow into the snow. Mark looked out the window, and up onto the hill. He then, looked behind them and back at Daniel. Daniel was trying his hardest, but he had no fireman to help to regulate the heat. "Uh, Thomas, what about Daniel?" He asked.