Chapter 30 Traveling Through England

Dalton-In-Furness

Ulverston

Clark & Cartmel

Kent's Bank

There was so many stations Daniel and Chris had to pass. Passing by along the west coast of England. "Daniel... this is so beautiful-" Chris said as he looked around at his surroundings in astonishment. "It sure is" Daniel said.

But then, Daniel heard that weird sound again.

Creaaaekkkk...

'What the hell-' Daniel thought. "Chris? What is that sound?" He asked.

"What sound?" Chris asked. Just then, his fireman spoke up. "I don't hear anything-" She said. "it was probably nothing" She added. But Daniel wasn't sure, the sound sounded like it was coming from Chris. 'It might be nothing actually'

They chugged more down the mainline, until they heard Daniel's fireman tell them to turn down a switch. "Make a turn at this switch you two... one of you blow your whistle to alert the station master"

"On it-" Chris said as he blew into his whistle.

Ching

The points where switched, and Daniel and Chris both chugged down the other line, away from the mainline. "Is this the way to Manchester?" Chris asked. "Actually, no. It seems you're low on water Chris, so we are gonna make a small stop at the station on this track. They have a water tower" Chris's fireman said. "Oh... ok!" Chris said with a smile.

The station they rolled up to, was called Morecambe.

"What is it with England and these weird city names-" Daniel asked himself. Chris chugged right underneath the water tower, and once they had stopped completely, both of thier firemen, got out, and climbed on top of Chris, and opened the latch to his water tank. The other fireman, Daniel's, got the hose from the tower, and put it over Chris's tank latch.

The water flowed out, and down into the tank. "Gotta make sure we have plenty of water. A dry tank and boiler is very bad for an engine"

"Yeah, I know" Chris told her. "I've watched a few documentary with my dad about trains"

Chris shouldn't have said that, but it was too late. His fireman had the most confused look on her face. "Y-Your dad?" She asked. "Engines have dads?"

'Oh shit' Daniel thought. 'They clearly don't know that we are humans -damn it- I thought everyone on Sodor knew?'

Now Chris caught on with what he said, and even he didn't know what to do. "U-um.. I... heh.. heh... um, Daniel? A little help?" He asked. Daniel sighed. 'Typical Chris'

"We... are not exactly Steam engines" Daniel started. "I was pretty sure the story got all around Sodor, but apparently it hasn't at all. We're humans." Daniel said. Both of the fireman stated in astonishment. "A-Are you serious?" Daniel's fireman asked. "Yes" Daniel replied. They both seemed confused. Who wouldn't?

"B-But how? That doesn't make any sense." Chris's fireman said, as she put her hand up to her forehead. "Well... have you heard of the story of the magic buffers?" Daniel asked. Both of the fireman nodded. "Oh, yes! The magical gateway Sodor once had to get to Shining Ti-" Chris's fireman stopped talking, then gasped. "Y-you're not from the magic buffers are you?" She asked. Daniel just softly smiled. "We are."

Chris' fireman looked over and Daniel's fireman. They both looked back at Daniel and Chris. "You both are from Shining Time?!"

Daniel shook a little on the track. They weren't. "Nope. The buffers connect somewhere new. My... I mean, our world. " Daniel said, looking at Chris, who was attached in front. But the two fireman, was confused on how Daniel and Chris was human. The magic buffers apparently didn't work that way before with Shining Time, so why now? "I don't know. It's weird to be honest. I was just living my life with my brother, heading to my friends house, and all of this started to happen. But... with how I'm helping you guys out, and now I know where my family is, I really don't want to go back."

Chris paused for a moment- And so did the two fireman. "Huh? Why not?"

Daniel was sure Chris knew why, but he really didn't feel like getting into it all with the two fireman. He didn't even want to get into it with his friend, Thomas. It urged him at one time to tell Thomas what was on his mind, but he didn't have the heart too. He knows Thomas probably will go very protective. 'He clearly cares about me a lot-' Daniel thought. And Thomas did. Daniel is his first full encounter with a human. Thomas would never want anything bad to happen to him, and Daniel loved that. He loves that someone cares. But he just can't tell anyone this, even if he might eventually have to. But, at least not right now, in front of the two fireman workers. Daniel knew that Chris knew what was on his mind, since he was there. But Daniel was grateful that Chris didn't mention anything. "I guess we should be going then?" Daniel asked, so they could get back to moving. The two fireman looked at each other, then nodded. "Sure thing" They said

"Just lets fill up your tank now" Daniel's fireman climbed up onto him, and did the same thing they did with Chris; open the water tank latch, and took the house from the huge water tower, and filled Daniel's water tanks up with some fresh clean water. "You're a human-" Daniel's fireman said as he was filling up the tank. "The magic buffers are back.... this is a lot. This is strange" He said. Daniel sighed. "I know."

'And to be honest, this still isn't as strange as the life me and Sean went trough'

***

After Chris and Daniel both got their water tanks filled, they where off again. They reversed on the line -after making sure that no train was coming down the line- and went back to the switch they where both at before. Then, they started off, and head down the line, heading to their destination.

25 minutes later

Daniel thought they arrived at their destination. "Guys! We are here!" He said as he saw the sign on the station as they rolled next to platform. "Chris break, why aren't you breaking?" Daniel asked confused. Daniel was breaking, but Chris wasn't, so the train behind them got stiff and heavy. Only Chris was giving power, while Daniel had his breaks on. So Chris jolted. "Ow!" He said when he felt his chain yanking because Daniel wasn't giving any power. "I-I don't think this is where we are supposed to be" Chris said. "Huh? But aren't we going to Manchester?"

"Daniel... the sign on the station says Lancaster-" Chris said, with a tone that made Daniel feel stupid. "O-oh... my bad" Daniel said, looking down. Chris started to giggle. "Shut up Chris" Daniel said. Chris just giggled more. "Well... we have to stop anyways... signal is red"

Daniel sighed, then stopped, and the sound of the trucks filled with goods, slamming into Daniel's back buffers played out. "Ooof! Ow my butt-" Daniel said. "Next time don't break so suddenly" Daniel's fireman said.

As they where wanting for the signal, a train was coming down on there track. Chris noticed. "Uhh... Is it just me or is that train coming right towards us-"

"Nah, don't worry" Chris's fireman said. "They'll switch over"

She was right. The train, switched and went over on the other line. It was a passenger train. "Hello lads!" The Engine said as they rolled up to the platform. Then-

"Morning!"

There was two engines. They looked like some kind of railcar. Two of them- one facing forward, and the other facing backwards. They had a blue, purple, and white livery, and the front of them was yellow, besides their face, which was gray. A name was on them, and it said 'Northern'

Chris gasped, and his train nerd self went full blast again. "Hey! Daniel, we are actually on Northern Rail... a passenger service line that is in England!" Chris exclaimed. "Oh really? I didn't notice-" Daniel said, teasing Chris. Chris just grunted. "Stop teasing me"

The two passenger engines, honked their horns, and started off. "Cheerio!" They both said as they continued their passenger service. As soon as they left, the semaphore turned green, and Chris and Daniel where on their way again.

As Daniel and Chris was chugging down the line they now know, is Northern Rail, they have passed by a number of steam engines. "Huh... I thought you all said steam engines are dying out-" Daniel said. "Oh... it still is. But, on Sodor, it's far worst." Daniel's fireman said. "Ah. Right. Not enough engines on Sodor, and all the other engines on other parts of the world are too busy with their own work"

"Exactly"

Now Daniel was thinking about what he was thinking about before. 'Me and Sean should stay here'

'At least we'll finally have somewhere safe to be'