Sand Wars

Houses passed by the car window as Finley stared out it, taking in the neighborhood that Eli lived in. Her mom was driving her there for a Star Wars movie marathon that the three boys had insisted was a necessity for their friendship with her to continue.

"You're sure his mom said this was okay?"

Finley glanced over at her mom before resuming looking out the window. "Yeah. He said his mom was cool with it and to come after lunch sometime. We're getting pizza for dinner and I'll text you when we're about done so you can come pick me up."

Her mom nodded in her periphery. "Make sure you tell his mom thank you."

"Yup."

They went over this every time she went to a friend's house, she knew the drill. Be polite, always be appreciative, and never over stay your welcome. Finley was a good kid and yet it seemed to her like her parents didn't trust her to not be an idiot. After double checking they had the right house number, Finley grabbed the brownies her mom had made and hopped out of the car.

"Text me when you're ready."

"Got it."

"Love you, have fun."

"See ya."

Finley shut the car door and walked up towards the house. She was vaguely aware of the car pulling out of the driveway and leaving, but her nerves had kicked in as she stared at the door in front of her. It finally hit her that this was Eli's house. She took a shaky breath before knocking on the door. He's just a guy she reminded herself. Before any other thoughts could creep into her brain the door opened to reveal a middle aged woman. Her hair was dark brown and straight, just barely reaching her shoulders. One look at her eyes and it was clear she was Eli's mom, she had the same baby blue eyes that he did.

"Hi, I'm Finley, one of Eli's friends."

The woman smiled, but confusion flashed through her eyes. Finley offered a small smile back, her grip slightly tightening on the container of brownies as her nerves sped up.

"Finley?"

"Yes ma'am." The girl swallowed, but she felt like a huge lump had grown in her throat making it hard to do so.

"Oh you're Fin!" Realization suddenly dawned on the older woman. "I'm sorry! Eli just always talked about you as Fin and I- well I assumed you were a boy." Finley's cheeks turned a light shade of pink. "Please come in, come in."

She took a step away from the door, allowing Finley room to come inside. The door was closed behind her as Finley looked around the house. It was a classic, traditional house, unremarkable in every way, but to Finley it was a look into Eli's life, his home, his family. And her first impression with his mom was that she was not a guy. This was going spectacularly.

"My mom made brownies." Finley handed the container to the woman, not knowing what else to do.

Social situations were always awkward, especially with adults, and even more so when that adult happened to be your crush's parent.

"That's wonderful." She smiled at the girl- the girl who was friends with her son. "I'll put them in the kitchen for you guys to have later."

Finley nodded and followed slightly behind her as she walked into the kitchen and set the container on the island.

"Thank you for having us over Mrs. Moskowitz."

She turned to face the girl, her brown hair swishing behind her right shoulder as she did so. "Oh, no, thank you for coming. It's so nice to see Eli making more friends. I know he's always been a shy kid... It's so wonderful that you're here."