Jealousy.

Lan Wangji was sitting in the Guest Hall of the Qinghe Nie Clan's main residence, next to Wei Wuxian, and sipping on wine. He knew he shouldn't have asked the servant to bring him any. His husband was casting reproachful glances at him from time to time, expecting trouble   –  he knew too well what effects alcohol always had on Lan Zhan.

It was supposed to be a celebration  -  Nie Huaisang was turning 35 tonight, and the Qinghe Nie Clan had put a great effort to organize lavish festivities. Lan Zhan was not interested in being here at all  –  he had always found the austere and aggressive dark colors of this particular Clan a little... vulgar.  He was yearning for the serenity, magnolia flowers, and murmur of flowing waterfalls of the Cloud Recesses, back home in Gusu. But Wei Ying was a close friend to the stupid Young Nie Master, and they had travelled here, three days ago, and tonight was the culmination of all the empty small talk and awkward pleasantries.

He wasn't aware what made him so atypically irritated, but for anyone who might be observing the group of former classmates carefully  –  the reason for the tension was very  obvious. It was the beautiful young cousin of Nie Huaisang - Nainai. 

Lan Zhan was doing the impossible to keep himself composed  –  for three days now that hateful girl and Wei Ying had been inseparable. She was absolutely uninteresting, of course, even annoying; but she resembled Wei Ying's Shijie  -  the late Jiang Yanli too much, and Lan Zhan could see that it really bothered Jiang Cheng too – he was spending his time drinking too much as well, and glaring at his brother, his teeth tightly clenched. He could not still, after all these years, forgive him for her death...

But Wei Wuxian was oblivious to what was happening around him. He only focused on the young blushing girl, and even tonight he'd barely talk to his husband, but rather chat with her  –  they were laughing and joking as if they were family. He poured all his attention on her, perhaps unconsciously, but it drove daggers into Lan Zhan's heart. 

Nie Huaisang was pleased that his cousin and his best friend were getting along so well – but if he noticed the growing tension between the couple – he never commented on it, hiding behind his fan, silent, observant.