Wei Wuxian //\\ Bai Li

Bai Li returned to her chores, but spent the rest of the day thinking about what Zewu-Jun's words might mean. She could not understand. Her Masters seemed close again, as before, but something was lost. 

Before, they would constantly seek each other out. They loved to get away from everyone and everything, so that they'd be all alone, and there was laughter behind closed doors, too many mornings when she had to come into their bedroom to wake them up, finding them happy, smiling, late for breakfast, but embracing. 

And now... the days were all the same. Work, classes, chores, training, meals. They rarely touched. Barely talked, unless it was necessary.

She slowly realized that the thing that was lost was their mutual trust. Yes, they still loved each other, but that closeness, intimacy  –  it was gone.

***

At dusk, Wei Ying was in the garden, taking care of some hydrangea bushes. He saw Bai Li approaching briskly with great resolve, and he frowned. Sometimes it felt like this girl  –  younger than him for sure!  –  acted like his mother. 

He did not  enjoy it.

- Ah, Bai Li! What have I forgotten this time, eh? – he tried to joke, but there were sharp notes in his voice.

- Master. – she bowed low. – May we talk? Privately?

- What is it now? A fire? You are leaving?!? The cook is dead?!  – he raised an eyebrow, disapproving. He dreaded those "talks",  always.

- Please, Wei Qianbei, don't joke with such things...  –  she implored, not daring to lift her eyes, waiting for his permission.

Wei Ying huffed. He knew that if not now  –  she would find him again later; there was no use in postponing this, that here young lady was really obstinate. 

He mumbled:

- Damn, I cannot decide who is worse  –  you or my husband! Alright, annoying young woman, bring some tea to the Blue Room  –  I will be there shortly.

Bai Li's heart fluttered, it seemed her Master was not too angry at her. She bowed again and went away.

***

Wei Ying sat comfortably, sipping his tea. He knew what this was all about. He glared at Bai Li from head to toe; he knew she would not speak until he gave her permission. He sighed.

- So? What is it? Spill it, or I will be late for dinner, and Zewu-Jun will punish us both!  –  Wei Ying grinned crookedly. This wasn't too far away from the truth.

- Master...  -  Bai Li bowed, unsure where to start.  –  You know... I do hope you know well that your happiness and Hanguang-Jun's happiness is the most important thing for me in this world. It means a happy and content household too. And when it is so  –  all the work is done smoothly and all the servants are satisfied and pleased. Things are simply connected this way...  –  she looked up to meet her Master's mocking stare.

- Well, thank you for stating the obvious. What does all this have to do with me?  –  he scoffed impatiently.

- Master, I will be honest. I don't think you are happy. And nether is Hanguang-Jun. –  she bowed low and stayed this way until he spoke again.

Wei Ying was surprised. He had thought both he and Lan Zhan had been playing happy house quite successfully for everyone to see. This girl was not stupid, at all.

- Hmmm.  –  he huffed.

Bai Li knew this tone and dared not move. Wei Qianbei was usually sweet and kind to everyone, but she had seen his scary face too, on several occasions, and she knew her Master was not one to be underestimated. Neither of them were.

- I see you have the answers to all of Life's mysteries, Bai Li.  –  he mocked sarcastically. –  So what is your suggestion? What should I do? Obviously, I am doing things wrong, as even the servants  seem to know all about my private life? – he continued mercilessly. 

Bai Li bowed lower.

- Forgive me this boldness, Master...  -  she lifted her eyes, flushed to meet his stare. –  I understand the position I am in. I am ready to receive my punishment, whatever you decide is appropriate. But I am begging you...  -  she fell to her knees and bowed as low as she could. 

–  I am begging you, forgive Master Lan. He loves you very much.

Wei Wuxian was gaping; he did not expect these words, but they made him think. 

He... hadn't forgiven? Was that it? 

Lan Zhan had been distant those past weeks, but... he was healing... and they were... busy...  What did this servant girl see

He squinted his eyes. Once before she had given him the same advice.

- Go.

He dared not speak anything further for fear that his voice would break too much.