Chapter 19

Louis' P.O.V.

I stood at the base of the stairs waiting for Kali to come down. She just had to fix her hair before going onto the beach even though it would just get messed up again because of the wind. Although I couldn't complain because I had styled my own hair after my shower.

I knew Zayn was in his office so I didn't have to worry that he would sneak into her room again. Seriously, what was wrong with that guy.

When I heard her small form skipping down the steps I jerked my head toward her. I tried not to stare at those tiny little black shorts she had chosen to wear.

I had been surprised that she believed me so quickly when I told her what I was really doing here. Don't get me wrong, I was thankful, but I thought it would have taken more convincing. I guess she was more trusting than I had thought.

I couldn't believe she had made me talk to Hattie. I hadn't seen the woman in a few years and I had changed a lot since then. I wasn't that young teenager who wore suspenders anymore. The kind of work I was doing had changed me. I was more guarded and suspicious of everyone and I had acquired the unique ability to find criminals and put them behind bars. Sometimes I wondered if this lifestyle was changing me for the worse, but I refused to believe so. I was fighting for the good guys. No matter what I had to do to come out on top, in the end, everything would turn out right. Although it was jobs like this one where I was forced to hurt innocent people that made me really question whether I was doing the right thing or not. Sometimes I felt that I was becoming one of them. I certainly looked like one of them. It was difficult to hold onto my real self while in these situations. Thankfully, there was something about this innocent girl whom I helped capture that brought out the mischievous playful side of me. The real me.

"What are you staring at?" She tilted her head at me wanting to know why I had zoned out for a second while staring her perfect legs as she walked down the last few steps.

"Nothing. Let's go." I answered hastily and walked down the hall to the glass door in the back. Even though she often helped to remind me who I was, at the same time she somehow never ceased to make me forget myself. It was confusing, but true. Warm feelings always rushed through me whenever she was around. I knew what the feeling was, because I had felt it before, but I couldn't let myself accept it. If I let myself fall for her, even the slightest bit, this whole operation could be compromised. She was just so fucking easy to like and it was as hard as hell to keep those dangerous feelings at bay.

"Where are you going?" Harry said from behind us.

"Just for a walk. We'll be back before long." I told him.

I opened the door for her, but she hesitated. "What's wrong?"

She cautiously craned her neck to look outside. "What about the dog?"

"Don't worry, I chained him up." I felt bad for making her scared of everything. When she first came here, she had tried to escape several times. But now the fight seemed to have left her. With Oliver in the picture, she couldn't bring herself to try to escape again.

"Oh." She said doubtfully and then stepped outside into the warm sunshine.

I followed and closed the door. I watched her as she paused to drink in the fresh breezes and the smell of the ocean. Her camera was hanging around her neck and her wavy brown hair blew around her slim shoulders. She cradled the camera in one hand and pushed one side of her hair behind her ear with the other. Damn. I needed to stop studying every move she made.

When her innocent brown eyes met mine expectantly, I turned and led her toward the stone steps leading down to the sand

"Come one, let's have some fun. Let's forget all of the fucked up shit going on and just enjoy ourselves for once." I said cheerfully.