Chapter 21

Louis was gone and I couldn't decided whether I should go see what was going on. I knew it was probably a really dumb idea to go down there when Louis had specifically told me not to, but the temptation was huge. There had been a total of twelve gunshots in the last three minutes and I felt that something bad was going to happen. Who was shooting at who? It was obviously coming from outside.

I grabbed the door handle and jerked it open. Enough of this. I was going to find out what was going on. I pulled one Louis' jackets on from the pile by the door and walked out. It smelled deliciously of him.

Instead of going downstairs, I rushed across the hall into one of the bedrooms that faced the front yard. It was completely spotless so I guessed that nobody slept here. As I neared the window, I heard shouting and two more shots were fired. Someone let out an agonized scream and I hesitated. Did I really want to know what was happening out there?

The curtains were closed. I didn't want anyone to see me and decide to shoot me so I krept to the edge of the window and pulled the curtain away just a sliver. I peeked out and saw the lawn lit up from the porch lights. There were three sports cars in the driveway and I could barely make out figures crouching behind them.

They were shouting at the house. I guessed that the boys were somewhere below me hiding behind something near the house. I couldn't make out what they were saying so I cracked the window open discretely.

Someone behind the cars yelled, "Hand her over and we can talk about this!" He moved to stand up, but a bullet from one of the boys' guns shot the hood of the car he was using as a shield and he fell back behind it.

Zayn's authoritative voice boomed, "Get the hell off our property! You know what will happen because you came here like this!"

The stranger screamed, "If you touch one hair on that girl's head I will kill you all! I don't care what Atlas says!"

"Want to bet?" Zayn shot back, "If you don't give him the money you owe than you and your entire family will be destroyed. Kali will be ruined, maybe even killed, and it will all be because of you and your stubborn ass morals."

"Give her to us! She doesn't deserve to be stuck in the middle of this! She's innocent!" Somebody else behind the cars spoke up.

"You're all asking for us to punish her, you know that right? Take your stupid family and get back to work." Liam chimed in. "Atlas isn't going to be very happy about this. And you know what happens when he's angry."

"Atlas is a dick! Using an innocent girl to blackmail us into giving him money!" The stranger roared. The fact that the strangers had picked up on Harry's nickname for the blackmailer didn't even register because of all this new information I had. They were talking about me. I was being used to get them to give Atlas money. And what if they didn't? Zayn had said they would punish me. Was that why he was threatening to rape me? If they didn't do what Atlas wanted, would Zayn take it upon himself to "punish" me for their disobedience?

"Just go before things get worse!" I heard Louis call out.

"We will go, but we will be back, mark my words. And next time, we will rescue her." The stranger shouted determined. "Do not hurt her because we came here."

"I wouldn't count on it." Zayn laughed evilly and I shivered.

The strangers looked furious as they climbed into their cars which had several bullet holes in them. Two of their men had to be helped because they were completely limp. Were they dead? The five boys walked out into the lawn below with their guns pointed at the retreating intruders.

"Are we really going to hurt Kali?" Harry asked Zayn quietly.

"I'll talk to Atlas and see what he thinks. Don't worry about it. I'll deal with it." He stuck his gun in his belt and swaggered back to the front door.