Chapter 38

Kali's P.O.V.

"Is she always this obnoxious?" I asked Louis quietly so nobody but him could hear.

"She's just warming up." He replied with his hand over his mouth when Arson was watching us whispering to teach other.

We all sat at the dinner table trying to eat, but Bridget was endlessly rambling on. Sure, Desiray and Arson seemed to be enjoying themselves, but the rest of us didn't feel much like participating in the conversation.

Waving her fork in small circles in the air, Bridget laughed, "Isn't this delicious? My cooking is so awesome. Even the fire alarm cheers me on."

"Yeah, the fire alarm did go off." Desiray rolled her eyes, "Next time make sure to keep an eye on the rolls."

Next time? Please.

Make her leave.

I honestly didn't see how Louis could have had the patience to date her back then. She was nice, sure, but she kept getting on my nerves. I hoped that wasn't just because of what she and Louis had done together.

"Come on; tell me this food isn't good. Isn't it delicious?" Bridget insisted looking at each of us in turn. There was an awkward silence and I grimaced.

"Mm, yeah. It's something else." Harry humored her halfheartedly giving her a grin which she gladly accepted.

She straightened herself in her chair and commented, "You're a peculiar lot aren't you? I've been wondering how you all came to end up here together. You two are married obviously. And what, are you two together?" She asked innocently while looking from Harry to Oliver.

Harry coughed on his overdone steak and Arson thumped him on the back.

Oliver, who was sitting on the other side of me nudged me and whispered, "I don't know what's more awkward; answering her genuine question or sitting in silence while she stares at me." I couldn't help the silly laugh that escaped and closed my eyes, trying not to burst into full on giggles. Oh how I missed the Oliver who could make me laugh.

Harry shook his head furiously, "Oh no. You couldn't be more wrong about that. I have a girl. And Oliver's in love with Ka-." A warning kick from Louis made Harry rethink his sentence, "He's in love with...um...Katy Perry."

Louis snorted and Oliver sighed while shaking his head. Living a lie really was difficult to do. You had to keep watching everything you say. And when you couldn't think up a good lie fast enough, you have to say the first stupid thing that comes to mind.

"Oh, gosh you're funny. I like you." Bridget told Harry and she licked her lips. "But seriously though, how did you all end up together?"

"It's complicated." Louis answered for the rest of us.

"Complicated." She echoed and put down her fork loudly. "It's always complicated. Everything with you is always complicated."

I could feel an argument taking shape, or at least a severe tongue lashing so I yawned loudly and scooted back my chair, "Well, not that this isn't any fun, but I feel like relaxing."

"Oh no you don't. I've got dessert!" Desiray chirped and pointed at my chair, "Sit."

My stomach growled. If dessert was anything like dinner had been, then I wanted no part of it. Bridget's cooking was awful.

"It's left over from the picnic. Who likes apple pie?" She hurried to the kitchen and returned with a whole pie. "I made four pies, but only three were eaten."

Well, if Desiray made them, then one piece couldn't hurt.

Bridget was intently staring at Louis with an unhappy look, but nobody but I noticed. Then she started studying me and I shifted uncomfortably.