Chapter 44

Sometime later, Louis' parents had another meeting and so we were shown out of their expansive office and down a side hall passed the rude receptionist. Disturbingly, his eyes were glued to me as we walked by and I began to feel anxious. He picked up a Starbucks coffee and sipped it, glaring at me.

I took Louis' hand and picked up my pace as we followed my grandparents down the hall and to the end where there was another door.

"In this door you all can spend some time relaxing. That door over there is where we're staying." Grandpa said pointing to both doors. "I'm afraid my wife and I need to rest for a while. All the excitement has worn us out. So, while you're waiting for Elizabeth and William to finish their meeting, you can waste time in there."

"Thank you sir." Harry gave him a dimpled smile and opened the door for us, letting the rest of us enter first.

Maybe it was just me, but Harry seemed to be making an effort to be nicer - as if he was trying to prove himself. That boy had me confused. Just yesterday it looked like he had used my phone to call Zayn, but now he seemed like he was on our side. I suppose he did help me escape the mansion. I was so confused - I didn't know what to think anymore.

Inside the room, we all stopped and stared with our mouths open; except for Louis who had seen it all before. It was an expansive room with several snazzy looking leather couches sitting here and there and a gigantic flat screen TV on the wall. Huge paintings of tropical flowers hung on the walls and a plush white carpet covered most of the waxed hardwood floor. In one corner was a bar, where Louis immediately went.

He started opening cupboards, looking for something. Then he found a cupboard of glasses and took out a small one. He grabbed a bottle that was sitting on the granite counter top and opened the lid.

"Anyone want a drink?" Louis looked up at us expectantly.

Oliver crossed his arms over his chest as he plopped down on one sofa. "Maybe you've forgotten in your old age, but some of us are under the legal drinking age. Kali and I don't drink, either."

"Well the legal drinking age here is eighteen, not twenty-one like in America, for your information." Louis grinned. "And it doesn't matter up here anyway."

"I'll have a little." I spoke up suddenly and Oliver stared at me like I was crazy. "I can make my own decisions thank you very much."

"See, look what you've done Louis." Oliver threw a hand up. "You're a bad influence on her."

"Hey, I just asked if she wanted some. I didn't ask her to get drunk." He responded, pouring me a little into a small glass. Walking over to me, he handed it to me and watched as I slowly brought it to my lips.

"You only live once right?" I laughed and ignored Oliver's scowl as I took a sip. Gosh, it was gross. Scrunching up my nose Louis chuckled.

"Not as good as you thought it might be?" He said as he knocked his down in one gulp. Harry took some as well and so did Bridget, but Oliver stubbornly stayed seated on the couch.

"Well, I don't know about you, but I'm starving." Harry spoke up. "Are there any food places near here?"

"I know a place. I don't know why there isn't any food in here though." Louis looked around the bar area, but didn't find any food. "I suppose if we just go straight there and straight back we'll be fine, don't you think?"

Taking a seat beside Oliver, I glanced at him, wanting to know what he thought. Picking at the edge of the couch cushion, Oliver said, "If we're really quick about it. No dillydallying. I suppose it'll be fine."

"Great! It's settled. Let's go before I starve to death." Harry clapped his hands excitedly. He had this huge grin on his face as he led the way to the door and we made our way down the well lit hall. Louis left a note with the receptionist saying that it should be given to his parents if we weren't back in forty-five minutes, stressing that it was extremely important that he give it to them if we didn't return before then. The rude guy nodded his head in understanding and sent me a look. I felt uneasy about leaving the safety of the high-rise, but Louis seemed confident that we would be fine, so I shook off the anxious feeling.