Chapter 12 - Coffee and phone calls

Me, Alex, Sophie and James were sat in a little coffee shop down that's we had found near the pier.

I pulled out my camera and took a picture of mine, James's and Alex's drinks, just catching the waitress in the background. As well as getting the small fabric shop attached to the coffee shop.

I sat down next to Sophie, James Sat across from me and Alex sat next to him.

"Eeeehhhh" I heard Alex shriek, I looked up from my coffee and saw her holding her hands to her mouth.

"What's wrong?" Sophie asked.

"I burnt my tongue" she said so I struggled to tell what she was saying, blobbling her tongue out and looking at it making her eyes cross slightly.

I chuckled gently at her, smiling at my hands around my cup. I felt someone tap my shin, I thought it was an accident so I just ignored it. But a few seconds later I felt it again, I looked up and saw James staring at me, he gestured towards the front door with his head and mouthed 'come outside?' I nodded.

"I'm going outside to take a picture" I said to Alex and Sophie, making up an excuse to leave.

"Okay" Alex smiled.

"I'll come with you" James said "I'm a bit hot, I need some fresh air"

I smiled at him and began to walk to the door, him following close behind.

"Sooo" he began.

"Why'd you ask me to come out?"

"Cause I wanted to talk to you" he grinned.

"You could have talked to me in there" I smiled back.

"Ye but I wanted to ask you something." I looked down at my feet, kicking a pebble.

"I was wondering if you wanted me to drive you back later, instead of you getting the train. So then you can get back whenever instead of catching the train"

"Er, I don't know. It's really nice of you but we do live quite a long way away. It'd take like 4 hours to drive"

"I don't mind" he smiled

"Seriously James, we can just get the train. It will take 4 hours for you to drive us. Then what will you do when you've dropped us off home. You can't just turn around and drive back here to your hotel. That's a flat out 8 hour drive"

"It'd mean you can spend the whole day here though"

"Really James?" I tilted my head at him and raised my eyebrows.

"It'd be nice to talk to you on the drive back swell"

"James no"

"Katie yes"

"James stop! You are not driving us back!"

"I am" he chuckled snacking his head at me "you're not going to win this Katie"

"Ugh, fine. But I refuse to get in the car." He shook his head at me and grinned. "Come on" he started "we better go back in"

When we got back inside Alex and Sophie were at the counter buying a cake. I sat back down at the table, James sitting opposite me again. I looked up and he was grinning at me.

"What?" I smiled back at him.

"Nothing, was just thinking this is a really good day and stuff"

"Aw" I smiled "it is a good day" I agreed. A couple of seconds later Alex and Sophie sat back down.

"Sorry" Sophie said "we just got hungry, and this Ted Velveeta cake looks amazing." I laughed at her and shook my head slightly.

-

-

-

It was around 1pm and we were sat in a park talking about random things. Anything that came into our heads really. I was laughing at something stupid Sophie had said when my phone began to ring, I pulled my phone out of my bag and looked at the caller ID. I felt my face drop and my hands begin to shake slightly. I looked up, none of them had seem to notice.

"I have to answer this" I said before getting up off the park bench and walking away towards the lake, filled with ducks. I clicked the answer button and held it to my ear, not saying anything. I could hear my heartbeat in my ears and my breathing became shaky.

"Hello?" I heard his deep, raspy voice say.

"What do you want Adam?" I said in a shaky voice, closing my eyes trying to compose myself.

"Just wanted to see how you were?" He said, all I could do was picture his face grinning at me. I clenched my first tight trying to get the image out of my head.

"It's been 4 months and you ring to see 'how I am' ?" I was trying to stay calm and not shout. He sighed heavily.

"Look Katie, I'm so sorry for everything"

"You didn't seem like you'd be sorry when you were snagging that girl!" I said raising my voice, I was trying so hard not to shout but I couldn't keep it up for much longer.

He sighed heavily again which just made me more agitated. "Katie, I've said I'm sorry. I don't know what else to do. What do you want me to do?"

"Nothing Adam. Nothing. There's nothing you can do. You've done enough." There was a pause. I sighed.l

"Adam, there's nothing you can do. You've said sorry that's it. I'm not sure I believe you are but that's all you can do. We are never NEVER going to be friends, you will never be able to get rid of the pain I went through."

"I'm sorry." He replied quietly "I didn't mean to hurt you as much as I did"

"Oh just stop! Stop lying! I've heard way too many. Have a nice life Adam. Thanks for fucking up mine!" I shouted, hanging up.

My hands began to shake, I felt my eyes sting with tears. I closed my eyes tight and felt the tears stream down my cheeks. My head began to throb with everything that had just happened. It had bought back all the memories. All the lying and the cheating. My face was burning, my heart was pounding, my hands and knees were trembling. The whole world felt so small, so hot. My head was throbbing, I had such a bad headache. It was throbbing so much I didn't know if I was standing or sitting.

Breathe katie, breathe. I told myself, I sucked in a big breath. After a while my breathing steadied out. I was still shaking but at least I could breathe. I took another deep breath and then started to walk back to the others.