23. Mask On

It's the end of December, and the last day of the winter term

It's the end of December, and the last day of the winter term. The time of the year where there seems to be endless parties held across Thornhill and Lockwood alike.

I'm sat in the End of Term Awards assembly, wedged in between Jack and Lucy.

Olivia's with the dancers, having just performed on stage.

Lucy's browsing the Urban Outfitters app on her phone, desperately trying to find dresses for all of the upcoming parties.

She'll go to them all, whereas I'll probably only go to a couple. Liv and I normally do other stuff; like gingerbread houses and ice skating.

"Is this too modest?"

Lucy whispers to me, trying to discreetly show me her phone screen. It's a shimmery green dress that barely covers the model's ass and breasts.

"Yes, very nun-like." I reply, straight faced.

"Very funny." Lucy replies.

"Seen more clothes on a stripper." River's voices beside her.

He came in late and the only seat left was at the end of our row- next to Lucy. When he realised this, it definitely looked like he contemplated walking back out.

"Pray tell me," Lucy hisses at him, "which parties are you going to? Just so I know which ones to avoid.

"All of them."

I try not to smile.

"Go take a long walk off a short cliff, Kavinsky."

"Ladies first."

Lucy grumbles and angles her body towards me. "What are you wearing tonight?"

"The sequin dress I showed you yesterday," I whisper back.

Tonight is the night of the biggest Christmas party in Lockwood.

"Sexy," Lucy approves. "Jax will be there."

River leans forward, legs spread open, elbows resting on his knees.

"Oh, yeah?" I say, completely disinterested.

Jax and I haven't seen each other since that night in town- the night I also bumped into River. We texted a little bit after that, but his texts were drier than the Sahara dessert, and I quickly realised there was no chemistry.

That and he's not River.

"Mhm. Maybe you guys could hook up!" Lucy sings, way too loud.

I clench my jaw as the people in front of us turn around and give us weird looks.

Mr. Bonner, standing nearby, tells her to shut up.