7. Checkmate

~

~

"Hey Jack."

Jack Adams looks up from his chessboard. The blue of his eyes matches the navy blue of his cotton jumper.

"Hey Ana," he points to the empty chair opposite him. "Want a game?"

I glance at the library clock. I have to meet Lucy and Olivia in twenty minutes. The first football match of the season is today, and there's no way we can be late. Not with Olivia dating Thornhill's captain. But it only takes Jack Adams a few minutes to beat me at chess.

"Sure," I smile, settling into the chair. "But go easy on me this time."

Jack grins, showing off his perfect teeth- which are the final product of three years of braces. "I went easy on you last time."

"OK, so just don't try at all." I pull my hair back into a ponytail, and secure it using a hair tie I have wrapped round my wrist.

He laughs, to which I smile. Jack's got one of the cutest laughs.

I make my first move.

"So are you going to the game tonight?" Jack glances at me, pushing a white pawn forward.

"Yeah. Will I see you there?"

Jack shakes his head. "Big crowds aren't really my thing."

"I used to hate them too. Socialising was my kryptonite for a long time."

"What changed?"

I pick up a knight. "I met Olivia Bennet and Lucy Spier."

Jack does his cute laugh again. "Say no more."

This time it's my turn to giggle.

Mrs Flowers suddenly peeps through a nearby bookshelf. "Shush!"

I mouth sorry, and notice she's not alone. Through the gaps in the shelves, I can just make out parts of a lean, tattooed body standing next to her. Almost like a scattered jigsaw puzzle.

"Just order them alphabetically and place the big ones on the bottom shelves," Miss flowers says in a soft voice. "Do you think you can manage that?"

"Are you asking if I know the alphabet? Or if I can put books on a shelf?" I hear River reply in a low, sardonic tone.

Miss Flowers tuts disapprovingly, and they disappear to the other end of the library.