3. Dystopia

~

~

It's Thursday, and I'm sat peeling an orange in the canteen, wedged in between two guys that are all muscle.

The football team have invited Olivia, Lucy, and I to eat lunch with them every day this week. And it's really not as cool as it's made out to be in movies.

You've got to listen to a bunch of guys compare how much they can lift/who they've banged, and try to ignore death stares from girls at neighbouring tables.

Olivia seems happy enough though. She's nearly draped across Harry Cooper's lap, intently listening to him talk about what makes a good football captain.

Bore off, Harry.

"Hey," the freckled guy on my right nudges my arm. "You're the girl that wins all of the awards, aren't you?"

"I win sometimes," I reply, feeling my cheeks heat up.

"That's cool." Freckles says, then nods at the orange in my hands. "Can I have half?"

"Uh, yeah OK."

I hand him the bigger half to which he grins, before launching it off his friend's head.

I make eye contact with Lucy across the table, and she tries not to laugh at the expression on my face.

She's also wedged between two football players. They keep eyeing her red lips and low-cut top. It's only a matter of time before one of them makes a move.

I start to excuse myself, wanting desperately to retreat to the library, when something happens that causes me to stop.

A girl from the year below sprints into the canteen and yells, "Kavinsky just nearly crashed into a guy's car!"

Nobody moves.

"On purpose!"

There's a chorus of "Fight!" And chaos ensues as everyone makes a bee-line for the car park.

Olivia detaches herself from Harry outside, and takes hold of my hand. I grab onto Lucy, and the three of us make our way through the crowd. It's not hard when you've got a bunch of burly football players ahead of you.

I hear River before I see him.

"If you touch her again, I'll fucking castrate you."

"You're crazy! It wasn't even a big deal!"

We make it to the front. Olivia and Lucy gasp.

River has his hands wrapped tightly around some guy's throat, pressing him into a wall.

"Who do you think they're arguing over?" I whisper.

"River's sister." Olivia whispers back. "That's Andrew Shelby. He apparently made out with her at a recent party or something. Harry told me this morning."