18. Romeo and Juliet

~

~

I fasten the clasp of my necklace and the small silver cross settles between my breasts. Ivory silk hugs my pale body and a pair of fluffy white wings lined with gold rest on my back. I slip my feet into a pair of lace pumps as my mum enters the room.

She begins flattening down the stray hairs of my half-up, half-down hairstyle.

"Are you sure you don't want curls?" She asks gently.

"No. This is how she looks in the movie."

"I see," She responds. "Well, you look beautiful. Do you have a date tonight?"

"I have two". I smile, stowing away the few makeup products I've used for tonight's look. "Lucy and Liv."

"No Romeo?"

"N-not that I know of."

I find myself stumbling over my words in my reply, as the memory of his lips on mine and my longing to be tangled up in his blue bedsheets enters my mind.

Apart from fleeting glances across the classroom and him gently knocking his shoulder into mine as we pass by each other in crowded corridors, we haven't really interacted since that night.

"It had better stay that way."

I turn my head and find my father standing in the doorway to my room. His tired eyes tell me work was trying today.

"James," Mum chastises.

A few seconds later, Eve runs into the room wearing a karate uniform- Mum recently signed her up to some classes.

Her eyes widen when she sees me.

"Wow! You actually look nice for once, Ana!"

"Gee, thanks, Eve."

It's then that the doorbell rings, signaling the arrival of Lucy and Liv and the beginning of my night as Juliet Capulet.

"I think this is the hottest you've ever looked," Lucy tells me, her brown eyes trailing down me.