14. Cornered

It's nearing the end of the school day

I'm sat in English, watching the clock, and not paying much attention to my work. It's a habit I'm not used to. But a green-eyed delinquent has been leading my thoughts astray since he stormed out of biology this morning.

I'm busy taking off my cardigan, to reveal a blue blouse, when Miss Prince approaches my desk.

"Ana, would you mind returning these to the maths department?"

A box of calculators gets dumped on my desk.

I'm not too sure what an English teacher wanted with a box of calculators, but I pick it up without question.

"Not at all, miss."

I wander along the corridor, and then down the main stairs, my shoes squeaking all the way.

The easiest way to the maths department is across the courtyard.

As it's still pouring of rain, I walk around the edges of it, where a stone ceiling provides coverage. This part of Thornhill High has always reminded me of Ancient Greece.

I stare at the cobblestone floor as I go.

"Hello, Angel," a familiar, dark voice sounds ahead of me.

I drop the box of calculators, startled. The lid comes off and they scatter across the ground.

"Shit."

I look up to see River, Dallas and a few other boys laughing at my expense. One of them passes Dallas something that looks like a joint.

I bend down and start putting the calculators back into the box.

"Are you really doing drugs on school grounds?" I voice, dissaprovingly.

"What's it to you?"

"I'll catch you boys later," I hear River state.

When I look up next, River's gang has disappeared and he's left standing alone. He pushes himself away from the white wall and walks towards me.

My heart begins thumping when he crouches down beside me.

I reach for a calculator, and he takes hold of my pale wrist.

"I thought I told you Jax was trouble."

I yank myself free and stand up, frowning.

He slowly rises.

I search his face.

"Is that what this is all about?" I scoff, bending back down to put the last calculator into the box. "The pretentious bad boy not getting his own way?"

I then pick the box up and go to walk away.

"Ana," he laughs, humorlessly, "you don't get to talk to me like that."

He steps in front of me, his dark eyes flashing. I back away from him until my back is pressed against one of the white stone support pillars. River moves with me.

The only things to be heard are the raindrops hitting the floor and my nervous breaths.

"De ja vu," he states, a smirk briefly meeting his lips.

"Let me past," I order quietly, "or I will hurt you."

I don't even believe my words, so I don't expect River to.

"You used to be so much more scared of me," River acknowledges. "What changed?"

I glance around the courtyard, but it's just him and I.

"You've been kind at times," I admit. "I've noticed there's a side to you that isn't all mindless thuggery. "

River's expression breaks for a fraction of a second, before his mask returns.

"Is Jax kind to you?"

I stare into his gorgeous, green eyes, possibly realising something.

"Are you jealous?" I ask in a hushed tone.

My question is nearly drowned out by the rain. But River hears it.

"Jealous?" He asks, staring down at me. "Of what?

I stand there, feeling so stupid.

"OK, River. Just move so I can go."

He doesn't budge.

"Wait. Answer one thing and I will."

"What?" I snap.

"Do you want me?" River asks, catching me completely off guard.

My blue eyes widen. I don't know what to say.

Do I want River Kavinsky?

I find myself staring at his dark, pink lips.

Yes.

"Do you want me more than Jax?"

I drop my gaze to the floor.

He gently tucks a stray strand of my hair behind my ear.

"That's all I needed to know," he tells me, the ghost of a smirk dancing on his lips.

I push past him, embarrassed and confused, and this time he let's me leave.

a/n- I know this chapter is shorter than the others. It was originally at the end of chapter 13, but it just didn't read/feel right. And I think it's quite a pivotal moment too, so it deserves its own chapter ❤️

PS. The song I linked is so good!