4. The Sex Tips

~

~

Normally, I spend Friday nights alone in my bedroom, watching 'Netflix Originals' and eating rubbish.

Tonight, however, Lucy and Olivia are dragging me along to a gig at a local club. The band that's headlining is made up of locals too, and Lucy fancies the drummer. So, because Olivia's taken these days, Lucy needs me to be her wingman.

"Here," Lucy says, handing me something black and velvety. "Try this one on."

I strip back to my underwear and shimmy into the dress.

"No way." I say, staring at myself in Olivia's floor length mirror. "I look like a dementor."

Olivia laughs. "This one's shorter. Try this one."

Something else is thrown at me.

By shorter, Olivia means- barely covers my butt cheeks.

"I can't wear this. If I bend down, I'll moon everyone."

The three of us collapse into laughter.

"Well you need to choose something." Lucy says, wiping tears from her eyes. "Doors open in half an hour."

All of my clothes are too formal for a night out, which is why I'm having to raid Olivia's closet. But finding an outfit is proving super difficult. I guess I just don't know my own style yet.

I find a pair of belted, 90's, mom jeans, hidden amongst a stack of skirts.

"What about these?"

"Cute!" Lucy exclaims. "Liv, do you still have that mesh top?"

"Mesh top?" Olivia frowns for a second, then her face lights up. "Oh the black one! Good idea!"

I stare at my reflection, not really recognising myself. The jeans fit nice and the mesh top almost makes me look...sexy.

"I think I like it," I say eventually.

Lucy and Olivia appear at my sides, clad in leather and ripped denim. We take a few pictures, and then run for the bus. Olivia can't drive us there because she'll be drinking.

I text my mum on the way, telling her I'll be home for 11pm.

We get to the club a little late. And by the time we hand over our tickets, and our bags are checked for alcohol, the band's already playing their first song.

"What are they called again?" I shout over the heavy bass.

We join a mass of jumping teenagers.

"The Sex Tips!" Lucy shouts back.

Huh. Well I won't be needing any of those any time soon.

We dance around and get lost in the electric atmosphere for the next hour, only stopping when the lead singer announces it's time for a break.