chapter 2, 'I need to clear my head.'

17th April, Small Heath, Birmingham

"A letter came for you this morning, Thomas. It was from Newcastle. What bloody Business do you have in Newcastle." A frustrated Polly Grey Questioned her nephew.

"I don't have business in Newcastle, Pol so I have no idea why I got the letter. If you want to know so much, Why don't you give me the letter to read so I can tell you if it's of importances." Tommy huffed out. Getting bored of his aunt constantly nagging ever since he came back from France.

Polly strutted out of Tommy's office in the betting den and entered the attached house next door. Only to return a few minutes later with a crisp white envelope in her hand.

"Here. Open it then Tommy." Polly encouraged in her own way.

"Alright, give us a chance Pol." Tommy replied, reaching for the envelope.

Tommy huffed out, ripping through the seal of the letter. Gently pulling the folded bit of paper out of the envelope. He unfolded it.

Reading it from the top carefully.

It read:

  Dear Mr Thomas Shleby,

I am writing to you to inform you of two children in our care. They have lived in our care since they were seven and their mother Maddlynn Smith Took her own life in April 1911.

We have strong reason to believe that they are your children , Mr Shelby as your name is stated as their father on their birth certificates.

We would like you to take them in as we can not support their needs any longer. We are aware of the shock you are facing at this moment, Mr Shelby. It is no easy feat being told you have a child, let alone two.

They are twins. Age 14. Their birthday is 7th august 1905.

The oldest is a boy. James Thomas Smith. He can be quite the trouble maker and is renowned for getting into the occasional fight but we are certain with the love and care you and your family could provide him he will turn out to be quite the gentleman.

The youngest of the two is Elishbeth Ruth Smith. She is the more brainer one of the two. Her math skills are ahead of her age. Although, most of the time she doesn't use them in the right way. But, I know that with the right love and support she will turn out to be quite the successful woman that contributes wonderfully to society. She just needs a family like yours. They both do.

I urge you to come and meet them for yourself and provide them with the home they deserve. We will help you make the adjustments as much as we can to help you accommodate their needs.

When you feel like you are ready please ring us at 0191 5674 786

Our address is

Reindeer orphanage

Newburn

Newcastle upon tyne

NN56 9RD

Your sincerely,

Sister Woodhouse

For the first time in years, Thomas Shelby was at a loss for words. He was silent, staring at the piece of paper, not even reading it, just staring.

Polly did not like how quiet Tommy had become or how tense the atmosphere of the room became. She wondered what was on that letter and what had made Tommy so quiet. Polly had always been able to read Tommy quite easily but she couldn't decipher the look on his face. It was clear he was in shock, but why Polly wondered. Finally, having enough of the silence, Polly spoke, "What is it, Tom?" Although she would never show or admit it, the look in his eyes scared her and she didn't know why.

Call it her Gypsies senses but she knew change was coming and she knew it had something to do with that letter in her nephew's hand.

"Call a family meeting tonight at 8 in the betting den. I want everyone there and then I'll explain but until then I need to clear my head, alright Pol." was the last thing Thomas Shelby said to his Aunt before he marched out of the betting den, onto the street and to the opening next to the cut where he and Maddie shared a lot of their moments together.

Sitting down on the ledge of the cut he took his time to digest what he had just read. Madylnn Smith had his children fourteen years ago and hadn't told him. He could have helped. He would have helped. Why didn't she just write or tell me. A million and one things floated around Tommys head. But the one that stood out the most was the fact that his Maddie was dead and was taken by her own hand. That day, to himself, he vowed that he would go to Newcastle and bring his and maddie children home where they belonged. He just had to tell his family that he was a father and his kids were coming home where they belonged.