chapter 3, 'I'm a dad,'

17th April, Small Heath, Birmingham.

"Alright then Pol, We are all here what does tom what us for." a slightly tipsy Arthur Shelby asked. Arthur was the mad one. He was the oldest and most protective of his family. Arthur was angry all the time at everyone. He loved his family very much and thought they should always come first. He came across as scary if you didn't know him but was also the fun loving family member that everyone wants.

"I don't know Arthur. A letter arrived this morning, Tommy read it. Got all quiet and wouldn't tell me what it was about, just said that he needed to clear his head and tell everyone it was a family meeting at 8." Polly replied in a board tone. She just wanted to know what the letter said and why it bothered Tommy so much.

"Ahh, there he is. What is the matter Tom?" John Shelby, the second youngest brother asked. John much like Arthur valued his family and he would die for them if it came to it. John was fiercely loyal to family and loved to play funny harmless pranks on his family. However most of the time it just drives his oldest two brothers, aunt and sister mad. John was a jokester and constantly had a boyish grin placed upon his face.

"Right, now that everyone one is here I would like to share some very important information with you. As you may already know, I received a letter in the post this morning and I have some news that will affect this family. " Tommy began. He never got nervus, especially talking at family meetings but as his anxiety rose, it became more apparent to the rest of the family that for the first time in his life since he stepped aboard the train to go to France he was nervous.

"Spit it out then Tommy." Ada, Tommy's only sister encourage. Ada was different compared to her brother. She hated the business. She hated the cutting and beating but loved the money they brought in. Ada was the biggest girly girl ever and Tommy knew that when he announced he had to go get his children he wanted Ada there to welcome his little girl.

He thought about bringing Arthur or even aunt Pol with him but decided against it because he wanted to actually get this child in the car before they ran a mile because of his intimidating family. So in his head Tommy knew that Ada and John would be the perfect two to take with him.

"Okay, Ada, I will come out with it. Do you remember Maddie Smith?" Tommy asked. In all fairness this isn't the point of the family meeting and Tommy was beating around the bush because he was nervous of how his family would react to the news. He just hoped they would take it better than he did.

"Of course we remember our madds, Tom. She was one that broke your heart and slipped through your fingers,eh brother?" Arthur smiled. Remembering how happy Tom was with her and what he was like after she left.

"Well, Arthur, the letter I received this morning said that she died seven years ago by her own hand." Tommy told his family. The shock across their faces and sympathetic looks he received was starting to annoy him. He didn't need their symothay or want it.

Ada was first to speak her mind, always being quite blunt even when they were kids. "I'm sorry Tom. That's awful but what does that have to do with the rest of us and how does it affect the whole family?"

"It's not the fact that maddies dead, it's what she left behind. What belongs to me that she hid for fourteen years." Thomas spoke, trying to stop his eyes from clouding over.

"What are you going on about Tom?" John asked cluelessly. John had always been the slow one. He never gave anything much thought to be honest.

"What I'm talking about John is the fact that I'm a dad." Tommy muttered trying to get himself to believe the words he was saying.

The room immediately burst into a state of shock. Everyone having a different opinion and reaction.

Arthur erupts into congratulations. Getting up out of his seat to pat Tommy on his back. Smiling like a lunatic.

John was in silent shock, his mouth open wide with big eyes, making Tommy roll his eyes and walk over to John to pat him on his back to snap him out of his trance.

Ada sat still staring at Tommy with a proud expression.

Finn was lost. He had no clue what anything that was said meant just that they would be a new person to play with him and buy him sweets.

Polly was pleased that Tommy was getting a family like he deserved but also felt sad that he couldn't have it with the first love of his life or mother of his child.

"Now I know this must come as a shock to you, I know it did to me. But I have two kids in an orphanage in Newcastle. A boy and a girl. They are fourteen and i'm going to get them tomorrow and i would like it if John you and Ada would accompany me up there?" Tommy asked hopefully.

"Of course we will, right John?" Ada replied.

"Yeah, of course I'll come, Tom." John answered.

"Eh, Tom what about me Brother, surely you would want them to meet their favourite uncle first?" Arthur asked , a bit jealous of John for being asked to go.

"Well Arthur, I would like to get them in the car before they're frightened by you lots and run a mile." Tom answered Back.

"Fair enough then, Brother." Arthur huffed out.

"Okay so John, Ada meet me here tomorrow at 8 am sharp." Tommy demanded as he walked out of the betting den to the Garrison to have one last drink as a free man.