The Origins

1955

"Come on, Number 5741. Bertram has bought you from us! Get your fire started and make the GWR proud!"

"Are you sure, sir? Away from the way things are here? What is it like on Sodor?"

"Not entirely sure, but you will definitely make it better, Montague! I promise."

"Ah well. At least I will get to see Percy again." He then looked at the others. "But what will happen to the others? Truro? Oliver? Bear- I mean Viscount?"

"They'll be fine. I'm sure they will find work  here."

"They might, driver, but with all these... diesels... will they take over?"

"They won't. If they see steam engines are still reliable as before, they will come to their senses and keep them running."

"I hope so..."

The engine took off in hopes of getting to Sodor. He was excited, but still worried for the fate of his colleagues. Modernization was not a steam engine's best friend. At Knapford Harbour, the engine backed into the shed where Sir Topham Hatt was waiting for him.

"What is your name?"

Duck could only smile, hoping to make a good first impression. "Montague, sir, but I am usually called Duck. They say I waddle, sir!"

"Duck it shall be then." The decision seemed so simple and it confused Duck, but he decided not to question it. A green engine pulled up alongside Duck. Percy was surprised, but Duck didn't recognize Percy in his Sodor Livery and Build. Percy recognized Duck, however, and smiled.

"Percy, this is Duck! I want you to show him the ropes!"

"Yes of course, sir!" Percy was beaming with pride.

"That's a good engine. Now run along!" Sir Topham Hatt drove away.

"Beg pardon, but you remind me of someone..."

"Montague! It has been a while!"

"Wait! Percy? How have you been?"

"I have been well. You?"

"Living the dream..." He was hiding the fact he was worried, but Percy couldn't recognize that. "How are things here?"

"Pretty well. Luckily, I did not crash yet."

"Did you have an accident?" Duck asked Percy, trying to be serious with him.

"Well... I thought a signal was supposed to mean I had to go backwards, but-!"

"Percy! There is no such thing! That was handled the Wrong Way!"

"I know, Duck. I know."

"There are only two ways of doing things. The Great-."

"Don't finish that. Please. We went over it a million times... no offense."

"I see." Duck said. "Anyway." He was now eager to start. "Where do we begin?"