Where Has Toby Gone?

The Fat Controller rushed to the sheds, where the big engines were waiting to be assigned their work. He stopped his car and ran out to the other engines immediately.

He looked to Douglas first. "Douglas. Did Toby arrive at the docks last night to collect the Kipper?" He asked, sternly.

"Yes he has," Douglas replied. "The lad came in aboot fifteen minutes before James did, sir."

"Did you see him leave?"

"Yes sir! He struggled a bit, but he would'nae give up."

He then turned to James. "Well, James. You were with him as far as Wellsworth. Is that correct?"

"Yes, sir. I was." James huffed. "But we split up after the three-way junction. I had to stop and back up to the station, but Douglas went with him from there."

"Well, Douglas?"

"I went with him as far as the Harbour, sir. Then, he went through to the Harbour."

"That means he must have been over by the coast. Where did you go after that?"

"Back to the sheds, sir."

"When Douggie told us aboot Toby coming through," put in Donald, "we were up until about three with Diesel and Oliver to cheer him on, but he never passed through."

"Never passed through..." Diesel said, interested. "Do you think he has broken down or had an accident? You know how... unpleasant things get at night."

"That's an idea, Diesel," Gordon said. "So Toby must be somewhere along the coast or near the station."

"Beg pardon, but we couldn't hear him puffing along. You would think we would have heard him, right?" Oliver asked.

"No," James added, "the station might be around the bend, but you'd only be able to hear an engine Gordon's size coming through that platform-."

"ARE YOU CALLING ME FAT-?"

"SILENCE!" Silence fell. "Now then, I will have to go look around the coastal run with one engine. Just to check what has happened. Any volunteers?"

"I'll go, sir!" Diesel smiled. "It's not like I have anything better to do. Besides, I am worried for Toby! He seemed like such a nice engine!"

"Good enough." The Fat Controller replied. "If you can go to Knapford Station, I must send Duck up to the Harbour. We also need an engine to pull Henry's goods train. He is almost better, but still is rather drowsy. James has to collect a special goods train today."

"Special?!" James beamed. "What is it, sir?"

"Go to Vicarstown and you will see."

James immediately whistled and set off.

Oliver decided to speak up. "I'll take the train, sir! I don't mind some light Goods Work for a change."

"That's a good engine." Sir Topham Hatt smiled. "Now all of you, please get to work. Diesel, follow my car."

"Yessir!" Diesel smiled and he set off.