Trial and Error

The atmosphere around them was now a glow of red as they were two engines away from the Smelting Shed. The engine was a Black Bulleid Q1. James couldn't make out a number over the same five chalk letters that appeared over every engine so far, SCRAP.

The engine looked over to James. "Hello..." He shivered. "I need your help, sir..."

"I can see that..." James said, snarkingly, getting sick and tired of all the interruptions. "What happened to you?"

"Well, sir... you see, sir... I tried to run from Dieselization, sir." The engine paused before figuring out what he was going to say. "Are you one of the Fat Controller's Engines..., sir?" He asked.

"Yes. The name's James. What is your name?"

"Neville, sir. This is going to cause a ton of confusion if you stay..."

"Why?" James asked.

"The big diesel who's probably outside right now, his name is also James..."

James was intrigued, but didn't let it get in the way. "Continue your story, Neville."

"Well, I fled from my former railway... I was so close to Sodor... then I was caught by an 01..." The Q1, just like the other two engines, started to cry.

James sighed. "I'll see what I can do, but for now, just wait here."

He went into the Smelting Shed. There, underneath the claw, was another small engine, larger than Fergus, but smaller than Dennis. The engine remained silent while Clydesdale gave his little speech.

"That one...," Clydesdale said, "we are planning on putting in when the damned claw is fixed up. We've been waiting on the parts for over a week."

James acted like he was considering and paying attention the entire time. "Hmmm... I see..."

Clydesdale looked at James as the two ran around to get behind him. "Let us know when you have made a decision." They backed away.

James looked at the engine under the claw and sighed. "Alright. Let's get this over with. Who are you?"