Won, but at what cost?

Sir Topham Hatt's frown dropped just a bit further. "On a worse note, you may have noted that Edward is missing from our circle of engines tonight. I was out trying to gamble away my regrets last night. My regrets, that is, about not having a better handle of running this railway. Taking more caution after the disappearance of Toby was something I could have done better. I got a bit too risky... I thought I would win. There was only one hand that could be better than mine... but... someone had it. I wouldn't have even put his name down if I wasn't so boozed up... I am sorry to you all.

Duck was horrified! "Sir, do you-?"

The Fat Controller continued. "On a better note, however, while I was gambling, I won on a bid that the others risked a lot on. Allow me to present the new additions to our Island. It is with great pleasure that I welcome a Class 40, another pair of twin Class 08 Shunters, and a new Brakevan to our Island."

The Diesel surveyed the shed. "Wow. It looks wonderful here! I just didn't know that you invested in such... traditional styles..." A few of the engines took offense to this statement, despite the fact it wasn't meant to be discriminatory at all.

The twins exchanged glances and smirked. "Looks splendid." One said.

"Yes indeed. We'll be excited to start work tomorrow morning." The other said.

"I can't wait." said a rather familiar voice. Diesel felt like he had heard this voice before. However, he didn't know where from.

Thomas tried to give a welcoming smile, despite the words of the Class 40 that stood in front of him. "Welcome to Sodor!"

Duck was furious. "What the hell, sir? Is this some kind of elaborate joke?"

The Fat Controller wished it were so. "Unfortunately, Duck... it isn't..."

"WHAT IN THE GREAT WESTERN FUCK WERE YOU THINKING? EDWARD WAS MY CLOSEST FRIEND AND YOU TOOK HIM AWAY?" He boiled with rage.

Percy and Oliver were concerned. "Duck...," the former pleaded, "...please calm down... I know you are upset about Edward, but-"

"UPSET? YOU THINK I'M UPSET? I'M BLOODY ENRAGED! THIS MAN REALLY GAMBLED OFF ONE OF HIS MOST HARDWORKING AND SELFLESS ENGINES AND TRADED HIM IN FOR THOSE THREE PATHETIC EXCUSES FOR ENGINES AND A BRAKEVAN? THIS WAS NOT A WELL-THOUGHT OUT PLAN, TOPHAM! IT WASN'T! I DON'T KNOW WHAT SHIT YOU'RE PLAYING AT, BUT I'M DONE WITH IT!"

Diesel tried to sympathize for Duck and Topham. He tried to be a peacemaker and said, "With all due respect, Duck, I can see what the Fat Controller is saying. He never intended to sell Duck away. He was just under the influence of internal factors."

"NEVER INTENDED MY ASS! YOU KNEW HE WAS CLOSE TO ME AND YOU KNOW THAT HE WAS A GOOD ENGINE! BUT OF COURSE! YOU HAD TO SIGN HIM AWAY ANYWAY! I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOUR EVIL AND TWISTED PLAN IS, BUT WHAT I DO KNOW IS THAT I'M NOT STICKING AROUND TO BE YOUR NEXT VICTIM! GOODBYE!" And with that, Duck fumed away.

James thought for a moment and looked at the others. "Just saying, he is acting a bit suspicious..."

The Fat Controller, despite the recent breakdown, fended for Duck. "Now, don't go pointing the finger, James. I've had enough of a debate for one day... follow my car. I'll take you three to your shed. Shunt the Brakevan into the siding here." He got into his car and waited.

Diesel took a look at the Brakevan as Watson shunted him in. The face was familiar too. It was reminiscent of someone he remembered in the past... maybe a bit too reminiscent.

"So we meet again..."