Only a Dream!

Duck woke up with a start the next morning. The Fat Controller laughed. "There you are, Duck. Thought I lost you for a moment there." He was trying to make humor out of the situation at hand. It was more for his sake than anyone else's. Duck was not amused. He was originally going to tell him about his dream, but upset took over.

"Sir, that was not funny. With all due respect, Toby could have died, your railway could be under attack, and you decide to get a few sick laughs of this shit?"

The Fat Controller sighed. "Sorry, Duck. I'm only trying to lighten up the mood!"

This made Duck cross. "Lighten the mood? LIGHTEN THE BLOODY MOOD?! SIR, PLEASE TELL ME YOU'RE JOKING!" Edward steamed away before he could hear the argument get any worse.

The Fat Controller bellowed, tears flowing down his face. "JESUS FUCKING CHRIST! YOU DON'T THINK THIS HAS BEEN HARD ON ME TOO? MY ENGINES ARE MY PRIDE AND JOY! YOU'RE ALL VERY VALUABLE TO ME! I HAVE KNOWN MORE ABOUT TOBY THAN ANY OF YOU EVER WILL! FOR YOU TO UTTERLY CRITICIZE ME FOR MY COPING MECHANISM, YOU ARE BLATANTLY DISRESPECTING THE LOSS!"

Duck was outraged. "WELL YOU BETTER FIND A BETTER WAY! BECAUSE I AM FED UP WITH THIS SHIT!" And he quickly steamed away to get his local. Topham quickly stormed back to his car. Duck then stopped, realizing he hadn't told the Fat Controller about what he saw. "WAIT! SIR!" But it was too late. The car turned around and drove off.

Edward was disappointed. "Duck. What the hell was that?"

Duck gritted his teeth. "He joked about Toby! That fucker is going to get what's coming to-!"

"DUCK! LISTEN! I know you didn't like his joke, however, you should treat him with just as much respect as any other time. "He is your controller and he easily could have scrapped you right here and now. You should be more grateful he didn't."

Duck sighed. "Well... I suppose you're right..."

Edward smiled. "Good. Now go get to your train. You cannot be late." Duck puffed away, leaving a slightly happier Edward.