~Thirty-Two~

When I'd come back up, Doctor Attenborough had given me a book with the page for the warty sea devil bookmarked.

"If you know more about it, maybe you won't be frightened by it," he'd said.

I'd looked over the book over my meal before heading back down. I didn't see it again.
.
.
.
That had been the first and last time I'd seen the warty sea devil.

I went down and came back up two times each day for almost a week with no luck.

Doctor Attenborough didn't seem discouraged, but the other interns had.

I had seen a few other deep sea animals; a few jellyfish and a shark. I continued to follow the crevice along the cliff face.

Apparently a few locals had managed to catch coelacanths here, so here we stayed.
.
.
.
It was day nine. I had learned to swim with the bulky camera in front of me with my arms outstretched. Today was the last time we would be diving in this location.
.
.
.
Tony had heard of our lack of success and had sent some tracking devices to put on the coelacanths if we found them.

I had the tags on a tight bracelet around my forearm. They had little needles attached to them to put through the membrane of the dorsal fin.

My thoughts were distracted,

"Wait, Syrena, go back. I think I saw something," I heard in my ear.

I turned around, peering into the depths of the cave. I didn't see anything...

"I think I saw something further back," Attenborough said.

I moved further into the cave, holding the camera with one hand and using my other to crawl across the crevice.

That was when I saw the mottled cream and black pattern. We found them.