Chapter Twenty Five - Cameron Dyers

Unedited

Cameron Dyers,

If you knew what I knew, you would have reacted the same as I did. The lies; the deceit; the truth. It was all too much and it caused me to react this way. It was never about you, honestly. You were just a small piece of the bigger picture. The massive, messed up picture that we call life.

 If I could start at the beginning again, before I met you for the first time in Charlie's Corner Café, I would have killed you sooner. Letting you meet with your brothers, it was a waste of time. I could have accomplished this goal sooner, although I must admit, you all made it interesting.

But all things come back to the start, like one giant circle. Back to the very beginning. Or the end in your case. 

For you, the end was multiple things.

It was death.

It was seeing my parents die.

It was seeing your brother drown beside you.

Well, that last one only counts if you survived longer than he did. Maybe he watched you drown instead. 

Oh well. How unfortunate. 

Now I'm going to take my leave, as I no longer need to be here as I know you will be gone and your body beside three others, nd smile knowing I have achieved my first goal. Revenge.

Yours faithfully,

Ashley Selby

Cameron blinked her pickled eyes open, silence reaching her ears. No sound of water, no fear of drowning, no cold. She took in a deep breath in through her nose, the dingy smell of damp no longer invading her sense, replaced by the sanitary smell of cleaning products with a tinge of something familiar.

It was refreshing.

Something heavy was on her body as she lay on her back on something soft. She lifted her neck, glancing down and finding a range of blankets, all multiple colours and sizes thrown on top of her. She was lay on a bed that was surrounded by white curtains about a meter away, blocking her view from what was on the other side. Pulling her arm from the pile on top of her, she used it to lift herself into a sitting position. 

Her arm shook with small tremors, the strain of pushing herself up, making her muscles ache. Moving her other arm, she huffed as there was a pinch of pain as something pulled on her skin. She frowned when she found a needle sticking in her hand, taped down to keep in there.

She followed the tube to a bag of clear liquid with her eyes, understanding it was an IV.

That meant she shouldn't pull it out.

Oops.

She hissed, sliding the needle out carefully. She clenched her teeth, happy once it was out and throwing it towards the hook the bag of liquid was hanging on. 

"Stupid needles." She muttered, kicking the blankets so they would fall onto the floor. Frustration ebbed into her as the blankets tangled around her legs, doing the opposite of what she wanted them to do. "Stupid blankets."

"You're awake."

Cameron jumped. A yelp left her as the bed disappeared from beneath her and she was sent sprawling to the floor, the blankets following.

"Fudge nuggets," She groaned in pain, taking in sharp breaths, the air having been knocked out of her lungs.

Feet rushed over to her, boots she could recognize, once they came into her line of sight on the floor. Hands wrapped around the top of her arms as the hoisted her up. She kicked the blankets off her legs, successfully this time.