Chapter Twelve - Plan of Action

Unedited

The golden rays of the sun shone bright across the deep blue sky. Not a single cloud covered the sky. The chilly morning breeze knocked leaves from nearby trees, sending them tumbling and twisting, dancing through the air and to the floor. 

Cameron breathed in deeply, holding the air before breathing it out. Her tired eyes watched as a pair of birds fly about, twisting around each other as if rehearsed on a daily basis. The sun's rays didn't reach her form sat on the bench, still too low to cover her in it's golden glow.

Last night had not been the best night. After falling asleep, her dreams were filled with Ashley, her fake-parents and the dead eyes of Drew Turner staring at her. It didn't help with the booming explosions filling her ears as she slept. Once she woke in the early hours of the morning, there had been no getting back to sleep. 

That's when she had spied this bench through the partly opened curtains hung over the window. 

The birds chirped, twisting and flying off to find their breakfast. Cameron rubbed her eyes with her fingers, running her hands down her face and letting out a sigh. Her stomach rumbled, shouting at her that it hadn't been fed in over a day. 

With the exhaustion and having not had a proper drink in the last twenty-four hours, it was no surprise at the headache she was supporting.

"Cam?"

Cameron glanced towards the voice, finding Lloyd stood a few feet away. His hair messed up from sleeping and glasses slightly askew. He gazed at her with confused eyes, her slumped figure resting on the wooden bench.

"Yeah?" Her voice croaked out. She scrunched her noise up in annoyance. 

"What are you doing out here?" Lloyd didn't move.

Cameron shrugged, looking back to the sunrise. The warm beams were now on her face, taking away the chill of the breeze. 

"Watching the sunrise." She gestured in the direction with her head, eyes never leaving the beautiful scene in front of her.

"You know you could watch it from the room," Lloyd pointed out.

"I know." Cameron admitted. "But it's not the same."

"No, it's definitely warmer inside." Lloyd commented.

Cameron didn't even have the effort to give a small smile. She gave a long sigh, her fingers feeling colder than she could have sworn they had been a minute ago.

"What are you really doing out here?" Lloyd asked, taking the few steps to get to the bench. Cameron didn't stop watching the sun rising as he sat down.

"Baking a cake," She muttered sarcastically.

"Really? Can I have a piece after it's baked?" Lloyd played along.

Cameron rolled her eyes. "No."

"Well that's rather disappointing." 

"Shame."

"You're so kind."

"Thanks."

"No problem."

Cameron didn't respond, turning her attention back to the risen sun. The light blue sky of the morning signified it would most likely be a warmer day than it had been yesterday.

A sigh from Lloyd made her glance to him.

"I'm no good at this big brother stuff." Lloyd confessed, eyes meeting hers.

Cameron nodded. "Same."

Lloyd's puzzled expression made her smile slightly. 

"Having six big brothers popping up in my life isn't easy either." She explained, thoughts from the last few days popping it. "Since I first heard about you from Drew Turner, my life has gone from one extreme to the other."