Ch. 15 - A Game, A Deal, A Choice

Back in the timeless True Void, before Fresh's eventual abduct- invitation by Chaos for karaoke ...

"What!?" Fresh exclaimed, shocked.

"Yes ..." Gaster said, bowing his head in reluctant confirmation. "It seems Chara and Frisk are now under the whims of whoever has control of their codes. Though at the moment it does seem these two are in control of themselves." A glance at the wrecked interior. "Partially, at least. But it is only a matter of time before the Hacker decides to take over for good."

Fresh rubbed his face, leaning back into his bean bag chair with an exasperated groan.

"I'm gonna need a moment ta recover after that bombshell dude. What ... what am I to do with that information? Oh man. Will I have too ...? Big oof, bro. Big oof."

There was a tug on his sleeve and he looked over to see Frisk had got up to check on him with a worried expression. They had found one of the unbroken furbies and was hugging it - just like how he had first seen them. They balanced the furby as they signed.

*Is everything ok? Do you need a hug? More cocoa?

Chara also looked worried from their spot. They looked like they wanted to run right over and also give him their support, though they seemed to be trying to hide it.

This was not helping.

Gaster continues to explain.

"I brought them here because there was still a chance for them to keep their sanity. Outertale Gaster - Nebula - had informed me of their tampering. This is your jurisdiction now, so I hope I haven't over stepped in taking action."

"Nah, bro." Fresh said tiredly. "I'm glad you brought 'em to my attention."

Code modification from a Hacker ... becoming Hacker Avatars.

That explained the strong magic feeling surrounding the two and why they lived. But when the Hacker took control, would that really be a better fate? When the Hacker started to Play out their plan ... what were these two going to be forced to see? To do?

Funk.

This would have been much easier if the Hackers had thought about their minds as well as their bodies. Either an oversight, or just not deemed important. Void had assured him that so far Hacker's create their own sprite or copy an existing one without their soul or mind.

So Fresh was essentially told he wouldn't be killing anyone with his job, even if he destroyed the vessel or even the Hacker soul as their true souls aren't tangible things - a weird concept to Fresh, but he could accept it.

This Hacker seemed to have tried to possess two already existing people like a Player does, and then modified them.

Were they a Player or a Hacker then?

This was needlessly complicated for his first job.

"Alrighty." Fresh said seriously. "Everyone, be quiet for a moment, dawgs. Need to think of a radical plan. This is actually muh first run in with Hackers, so be patient, yeah."

Chara and Frisk were confused but did as asked. Gaster just drank his coffee as he looked around the house from his spot.

The hot chocolate was still warm and already he had new problems. Story of his life.

The only things he could think of was A) Mercy kill, B) get the Hackers on his side, C) Hack their codes himself.

Plan A was the closest to his job description that would - well not 'end well' for the two, but it was an option. After all, damage done to the Hackers Soul is also taken by their Avatars. If he hadn't regained his emotions ... Fresh repressed a shudder.