Chapter 55 ✨✨

"I wonder how much I've got to live." Whitebeard was tired, he wanted to go and sleep but he couldn't bring himself to leave his children alone. They were strong, he knew that, but he also knew his death would shatter them. Which is why he found himself in that state, living with a foot in his grave. He had lived a long life, full of adventures, encounters, and fights, now all he aspired for was rest.

"Your death would greatly sadden your crew," she replied, a little sadness tinting her tone, the death of this great person would be a loss for humanity. However, just seeing his weary sigh, and lazy drinking with no care for his health, it wasn't hard to deduce his thoughts—she knew them all too well, a glance at the mirror and the same were reflected, deep fatigue hidden behind a carefree smile.

At his age and with his powers, there wasn't much that posed a threat to him, the throne had a tendency to be very boring and lonely. Fortunately, he had his family with him, his own treasure, just like Konan had her dear family and friends, they both clung to those, finding peace in them.

"He left," Konan commented, to a knowing Whitebeard. They both noticed Ace's presence leaving for his chambers. She got up and bowed to the giant. "Thank you again for your hospitality, Whitebeard."

Whitebeard merely chuckled, clanking his cup against hers, "Feel free to come back whenever you want, little flower. Let's drink again in the future!"

"With pleasure." Konan smiled, brushing the flower in her hair before leaving him alone to his thoughts.

Ace was packing his belongings in silence, his back turned to the door. "Aren't you going to stop me?"

"Would you listen if I did?" she replied, leaning against the door threshold, observing him.

The silence answered in his stead.

Ace turned to look at her, "I have to avenge Thatch, and teach a lesson to that back-stabbing bastard as his commander." Though his words were resolute and merciless, his trembling hands showed his reluctance to part with his family and his guilt for leaving in the middle of the night. 

Teach was a part of his division, he felt responsible for him. How could he not when he saw long before the greed in Teach's eyes. Yet he let him roam freely until it led to this accident. He heard Marco's diagnosis, Thatch would never fully recover, though the blade barely missed the spine, it hit major muscles and organs.

"You've made up your mind," she stated with a sigh. "Will you be able to bear with the consequences of your actions?" She walked up to him, the moonlight revealing her worried frown.

"Don't worry, I won't let myself be eaten by revenge, I won't forget your teachings" he smirked to reassure her, "I won't get myself killed off, not when I haven't seen Luffy set sail yet."

He was surprised when she brought him in a hug before he put his arms around her too. It was warm and gentle. She hadn't hugged him since he was a child, and he found himself craving for her touch. As he grew up, he thought such signs of affections would soften him too much, but only now did he realize how much he actually missed her hugs. He was too foolish to admit he was jealous of how easily Luffy wrapped his arms around her.

"Don't get killed, don't starve in some corner of the world, don't get captured, don't foolishly bite off more than you can chew," she started listing off, while he merely listened and nodded along, "and more importantly don't be stupid and call for me if you're ever in danger."

Ace stiffened before agreeing, though he internally knew he wouldn't, he didn't want to implicate her in a fight that was his to finish. If he still hid behind his sister and bothered her even as an adult, he wouldn't forgive himself. He was strong enough to take care of himself.

"Now, don't think you can leave without bidding your crew a proper goodbye," she concluded, signaling to the crowd that was clumsily hiding behind the walls.

Ace sniffed to hide the beginning of tears, as he was brought in a group hug. None questioned his decision, it was a matter of a pirate's pride, they knew to respect it, but that didn't mean they weren't saddened by the news. They nearly lost a dear friend of theirs just the day before and they had to bid farewell to another.

"You will always be a Whitebeard Pirate!" Marco said, slapping Ace's back proudly before they all followed suit. In a way, they were getting their due for him leaving them.

When they stopped, Ace's back was a bright red, while Konan was laughing at his plight.

As he sailed off into the distance, Konan felt inwardly she wasn't going to see him for a while.

Sky walked to her side, grabbing her robe silently.

"We'll be leaving when Thatch wakes up," Konan said, knowing Sky would want to say goodbye to her cooking teacher.

Thatch woke up that evening, a bit lightheaded but alive. "Thank you for protecting me, Sky." He patted her head gently, looking sadly at her hands where scars would inevitably form.

"And thank you for saving my life, Konan."

"I couldn't leave you to die," she replied softly, before teasingly continuing, "only you know how to cook sweets that good."

Thatch chuckled, before coughing heavily, his injuries acting up again. When he finished his coughing fit, he whispered his answer, "I heard you're leaving."

Konan nodded, "Don't worry, it isn't because of this incident."

"I'll miss you both." He turned to the silent Sky, whispering in her ear, "I'm counting on you to make sure Konan doesn't return to her trash diet."

Sky sharply nodded her head, "I promise!"

Konan smiled, the whispers easily entering her earing—but she had to admit what she ate wasn't the best when she traveled alone, as she tended to neglect cooking in favor of eating snacks and sweets.

Meanwhile, in another part of the world, a black-haired adult infiltrated a Criminal Organization and began her journey up the ranks.

_______________________

This is the last chapter of this daily update challenge! <( _ _ )> 

Tbh I thought it would last a week at most but I added a lot of things in between so it ended up lasting a month... (⊙ˍ⊙) [all the chapters from this challenge have✨✨ in their title]

Anyways, next update in a week maybe? I don't really know, I have to come up with the next plot, refresh my brain, take a break and update all my other works. ('▽'ʃ♡ƪ)